Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody obviously ratted this guy out, because the cops knew where he worked. I loved the part where the police "briefly gave chase". Starting from a stop and trying to catch somebody that just passed by at 154 mph should have sent a message to these "public servants" that perhaps the radio would have been a little more efficacious, than giving chase, in apprehending this guy. VWW

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Tell me about it.... Every single time I post race news, results, or editorials, the silence is deafening. Nobody (except you and I) reads them. Infact the few comments we do get from them are generally to the effect of: "Big Deal" or "YAWN!" -Sean

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'll second that. I think I was one of the few who asked for more racing and DIRT action. Oh well, reading about kpaul and jonnyb's political opinions is so much more fun.

Right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I once worked a wreck in Beaumont, Texas when a R6 rear-ended a Suburban. Problem was, the Sub was going 30 mph or so, and the R6 around 140 mph according the the ZX 6 rider he was racing when it happened.

The Suburban was totaled of course and when I got there, I actually questioned the disptacher, because I couldn't see anything resembling a motorcycle at the scene, and the damage to the Suburban was tremendous.

That rider going 154 mph on public roads should be disallowed to drive for a long time.

Take that kinda speed to a track day, please.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with you Sean, I read them and comment on them, and yes I used to send interesting news that were relevant to racing fans, but they were never posted, hence my problems with the longride dude and some other members, who were upset at me for hammering at it. Oh well... They probably are exclusive readers of touring mags and BMW riders :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I don't think going excessively fast is neccessarily a bad thing. I think that there are places, even on public roads, where its not a big deal. In Michigan, where this guy was arrested - yeah, it probably is always a big deal. Where I live there are so many miles of long flat open roads with zero traffic and miles of sight distance, that if you feel like maxing out your bike and seeing what it can do, the only person you are going to kill if things turn sour is yourself.

How many riders east of the Mississippi can go out and ride a hundred miles and see three or four or no cars at all? Not that hard to do many places in the west. Does that make excessive speed defensible? No, not really, but it doesn't make it insanely dangerous either. Mr. State Trooper is still going to write you a fat ticket or haul your butt off.

Overall, I feel alot safer doing 100 at home in the desert than 50 down a maxed out freeway on the coast. I will readily grant, however, that 154 is pretty silly fast, and I've never done more than about 130 myself.

My $0.02 worth.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Absolutely. 100 MPH along I-70 near Green River, Utah is much safer than 50 MPH down I-5 near ****. Especially if Buz is out on his MV.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
154 is a horrendous crime. Or is it really. If you have a 2-litre Ascona and you manage to floor it to 125 on a long straight on a German autobahn, you'd bloody better stick to the slower lane or each and every hausfrau will be flashing lights on your a$$.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bah, i got stopped at 164 in my car..

I believe they arn't allowed to chase you over 135 or somethin like that. They didn't chase me at all.. got taged by a trooper with a laser.. then roadblocked a ways up the interstate.

Speed is all in the eye of the beholder. My mother thinks 75mph is insane.. I have an autocross background and a racing license..

If you spend time deep into triple digits.. 75 doesn't seem such a big deal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Saw Irish Road Racing at about 12:30am Pacific on Speed last night. Reminded me of the Isle of Man TT. I don't know what course they were on, but it was like a motorcross track paved over. Bikes were going airborne and gettin' all out of shape slidin' over the bumps. Amazing.

Speaking of the Isle of Man TT, does anyone know where I can buy a copy of all the 2004 races? I taped as much as I could off Speed, but there's a lot of stuff they don't show. I consider myself lucky to have been able to see the sidecar racing. I wish I could watch a whole season of it.

Should I ever have the means, I hope to travel to the Isle and see it all first-hand.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.