Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Being required to show a valid motorcycle license when you purchase a bike is just common sense, and it would apply equally to all riders of any age.

Also this article mentions higher-displacement engines being linked to many crashes, which I think, has been cited by other studies. Maybe we should have different licenses for liter-class and above to certify that the rider (of any age) can handle the big machines.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks like same article posted a couple weeks ago, or closely related. Washington state in both cases. In general I havent seen any data showing that older riders, say 50+ get in more serious accidents than younger riders, say less than 25. In fact, my sense is that youngsters striving to prove their manhood on crotch rockets are being killed off as fast as any mc group. Its like in the Old West, where 17 year olds were eager to strap on their six shooters but often didnt live very long afterwards.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's the old car drivers that should be taken off the road. About a half mile from my house a few years ago, an old woman ran over a motorcyclist (from behind) who had stopped for a red light. She realized she had run over something, so she put her car in reverse and backed over his body. Be very afraid of cars driven by old people.

Since I am only 72, I am still a young punk - I have a bike license add-on to my regular drivers license. Just help me get on and give me a push start.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Really Old Riders

except that the premeditated murderers aka drunk drivers account for a large swath of the 18-50 crowd. And anybody under 25 tends to think they are immortal be they on drugs or not. I agree that the various DMV's wrongly permit many old folks to drive when they have neither the mental processing capacity/speed or the reflexes, or the eyesight to conduct themselves reasonably safely.

But what are you going to do? Turn the foggies out of their houses and incarcerate them in 'communities' where they can be bussed to and from the grocery store etc?

I think the number of deaths resulting from advanced age or sudden onset medical problems is vanishingly small. Yes, I'm sure the numbers in FL are higher than most other regions but it's just a localized issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you were to pick one reason why we can't have some kind of testing for older car drivers, here it is.......they vote! Like in droves! That keeps the "lawmakers" from doing the right thing. Leave it to politicians to fix a problem, a real problem, and you will be waiting a long, long time. I think everyone should be tested periodically. There are so many bad drivers out there, it is amazing..................

·
Registered
4 Posts

By the way, the driving age here in SD is 14. I won't be letting my daughter drive at that age, because IMHO, you just don't have reliable judgement for it at that point. We have so many tragic stories out here about the teenage driver who makes a rookie mistake, and a few young lives are lost.

You have your whole life to die in a car accident....why rush it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah right, I`m 53, I race offroad dirt bikes, in the GNCC series, I ride a BMW boxer cup, and an 02` ZX-12. yep, I guess the govn. will show me how to ride again!!!! I think there just might be other things going on they should worry about!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can be mentally old at almost any age. Where I live, we have a lot of middle-aged adults from other countries learning to drive for the first time. You wouldn't believe what they do! The high school kids are also menaces despite their reflexes - their brains haven't developed yet.

Interstate truck drivers used to (maybe still do) have both driving and mental/physical dexterity tests. I understand that some race drivers have the same thing to show that they are back in shape following accidents, etc. None of this is politically palatable, of course, so will never be implemented.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I was in the DMV 15 years ago waiting for some "old" guy to get his picture taken for his new licence. To my surprise, once he backed up and said cheese, he was unable to walk back to the counter to retrieve his cane.(scouts honor) Yes, I got it and handed it to him.

Oh, the point, training when they are not too old to ride. I think a well educated rider will know when it's his/her time to hang up the bike keys and buy a Viper.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ive always thought that the only driving test needed was just to make the person parallel park a stick shift car. If they can't do it on the first try, they don't get a license. This would eliminate most people over 65, most people under 25 and all women. Imagine how traffic would be then!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I Love Gigi

"What we think is happening with this older group is that they rode a motorcycle when they were 18-20 years old, then they hit their 40s and realized, 'Hey, I can afford a bigger, better bike,'" said Gigi Zenk, a licensing spokeswoman.

Wow! That Gigi Zenk must be one hot babe to get a job like that with no demonstrable intelligence!

Mmmmm, Gigi Zenk……..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guarantee this - a 75 year old motorcyclist is one hell of a lot better risk than a 75 year old cager.

In order to ride the bike it takes effort and an attitude,

The car driver on the other hand has no such requirements. Brain dead old farts can get into a car but they cannot mount and ride a motorbike.

Most of the dead older guys have been drinking and or don't wear helmets.

I am 62 and ride a Triumph S3 and an FJR 1300, I attend track days and ride 700 to 800 mile days regularly. HELL I will take any test they want to give me!!!

What a bunch of bs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.