Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about your friend. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Please keep us posted on his progress and what happens to the dumbass that hit him.

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
"otherwise occupied" seems to be the case in more and more of these tragic incidents. We need to stop referring to them as "accidents". There's nothing accidental about them. Given they're not alcohol, drug, reckless, or speeding related, they are likely and overwhelmingly the result of distracted behavior, which should be treated as a violation in itself. Unfortunately, there is no provision in most state VTLs treating this type of incompetency as a violation. The problem is, unless they have a cell phone wedged into their ear canal, how do you charge them, let alone convict them of "reckless distracted behavior"? So, for the forseeable future these "idiots" will probably walk. With the exponential increase in cars and mindless drivers on our roads combined with the dramatic increase in motorcycle and scooter use, we need to start treating driving as a privilege, not a right, and rethink licensing and training requirements. Otherwise, incidents such as this will continue to be disturbingly common. Sorry to go off on this when you folks are understandably otherwise occupied. Our prayers are with you -please keep us advised.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would like to thank MO for posting this for me. Especially after I read them the riot act for being so slow about it. Thanks Guys!

Also, I would like to thank all of the local fire fighters for their quick response and help. On a side note. Lou is a volunteer fire fighter, also he teaches new firefighter and police rescue techniques for extracting people who have been trapped in vehicles after an accident. It's ironic that the same folks he trained ended up saving his life.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and prayers. I'll pass them on to his family and friends.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What was he wearing when he was hit?

I don't ask this to be an a$$. It is just that when I hear about things like this I wonder about if his gear helped, did he have any, etc.

Thankfully I've never been in any kind of major accident, and believe in proper protection, but I wonder just how much it really helps with situations like this.

A speed recovery to him. He's obviously a good guy. I'm sure he'll pull through.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Unfortunately he is usally only wearing a half helmet, flight type leather jacket, jeans and I know in this case sneakers.

Yes, Lou is an old school HD guy. But in this case I don't think even race leathers would have helped. The car actually went over him.

I'm with you on the protective gear thing. I always wear it. But by the same token, I'm a rather aggressive rider. Lou Isn't. He's a speed limit kind'a guy. It bothers me that if he had been riding like I normally do the girl more than likely wouldn't have caught up to him?

I guess this just proves, being safety minded doesn't always help. I accept that, and I'll bet Lou would agree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My prayers too.

I had two get-offs in the same day this week, and have been walking around extremely pissed ever since. The idiot that I am, I never realized I was lucky just to be walking around. May God bless you Lou. Get well brother.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunately these types of "accidents" are going to increase in proportion to the number of creature comforts fitted in vehicles. The other day I saw an idiot overshoot a stop sign, he was talking on a cell phone and drinking a coffee plus looking at a GPS map. I hate to think what would have happened if the vehicle had a flip down DVD player?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am very sorry about your friend Lou, I hope he makes a full recovery, I too had a very sad thing happen to my friend Lynn Snodgrass and his wife Jerry, they were on their way to meet a friend for a day of riding in the great roads of Arizona that we all love so much, when a teenager driving a truck and talking on a cell phone went on the wrong side on the road and had a front end colission with them.

THEY WERE BOTH KILLED!

Now for the really sad part, the little bastard got away with a slap on the wrist, and in the process deprived the rest of us from two great human beings. Lynn was a fantastic motorcycle restorer, winner of many awards, fabricator, painter, rider and just all around nice guy, well so much for justice.

Again, best luck to your friend and I hope justice takes a better path in this instance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Update: I just got word that Lou has been brought out of the medically induced coma that he was put into. I'm not sure what voodoo the doc's used to determine it was time. but it's done. His eyes are open but he's not talking yet. Too many meds. (He wasn't scheduled to come out for 7 more days!)

No word yet on his back injury.

I'll post more when I know more.

Hopefully we will here from some of his other friends here. I have passed the word on about this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.