Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Original Article:
Preview: Buell Adds Second Ulysses

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Preview: Buell Adds Second Ulysses in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Cool, I test rode a Uly when they first came out and thought it was nice but too tall and the 45 ft turning radius didn't help.

This one looks like they addressed at least part of that, plus the three bag system makes it a serious do everything bike like the DL Suzuki's, GS BMW's and Triumph Tiger. It looks to be worth looking into for a next bike though I have my heart set on a Ural Patrol sidecar rig......

This looks like an excellent commuter and day or weekend tripper.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I can't get over the mileage of the Ural, 25-30 mpg. Otherwise looks like a very cool way to commute in the winter.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
On the plus side...

I can't get over the mileage of the Ural, 25-30 mpg. Otherwise looks like a very cool way to commute in the winter.
.... you can run just about any kind of gas in it. A plus if you live where the gas is 80 octane and strained through cheese cloth. See how yer fuel injection does then!

·
Registered
540 Posts
An adventure model would have been cooler. I'm with Sachi on the gas tank, even with the herculean mileage reported.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Yeah, but how would you add to the capacity? Dhem Bools gots da' gas in da' frame.........

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have an RKA expandable tank bag, ditto tail bag, and a rack for two Givi sidecases if I were to put on a tour tank.

Actually, I have a spare 599 gas tank and I'll be taking it to a shop to have it cut open and expanded later this spring. If I can get a couple more gallons in it (up to 6.2-6.5), I'll be very pleased. As it is, out in the desert I sometimes have to fill up within 60 miles of my previous stop, given the potential distance between stations. (The desert winds can kill fuel mileage, which makes it worse.)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
A couple of years back I met a guy at the Grand Canyon who had his tank on his BMW F650 GS expanded to 12 gallons. His goal was to ride from Mexico to Flagstaff entirely on dirt roads without stopping for gas. With a 600 mile range he must have done it with miles to spare.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I have an RKA expandable tank bag, ditto tail bag, and a rack for two Givi sidecases if I were to put on a tour tank.

Actually, I have a spare 599 gas tank and I'll be taking it to a shop to have it cut open and expanded later this spring. If I can get a couple more gallons in it (up to 6.2-6.5), I'll be very pleased. As it is, out in the desert I sometimes have to fill up within 60 miles of my previous stop, given the potential distance between stations. (The desert winds can kill fuel mileage, which makes it worse.)
I KNOW about all that - my point was about them thar' BOOLS! :p

Can't really cut-up the "tank" on the Uly to expand, now can you? :cool:

Yeah, yeah - I know about TIG welding aluminium - lost track of all the things I've modified and constructed - but Buell ain't gonna "Factory" you a giganto-tank, and I already carry soft-luggage, a top-box, a 20L Marsee, and fill the passenger-seat with a large pack, tent, and sleeping bag.......... (most of which could probably fit in the Marsee and an Uly's panniers & top-box; 'cept sleeper an' tent)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I KNOW about all that - my point was about them thar' BOOLS! :p

Can't really cut-up the "tank" on the Uly to expand, now can you? :cool:

Yeah, yeah - I know about TIG welding aluminium - lost track of all the things I've modified and constructed - but Buell ain't gonna "Factory" you a giganto-tank, and I already carry soft-luggage, a top-box, a 20L Marsee, and fill the passenger-seat with a large pack, tent, and sleeping bag.......... (most of which could probably fit in the Marsee and an Uly's panniers & top-box; 'cept sleeper an' tent)
Put a 2 gallon accessory tank on the luggage rack. Ditch the kitchen sink and garden tools. Or maybe you could get one of those popup motorcycle trailers. That'd solve the space problem.

My solution is to stay in motels and B&Bs. I've done enough sleeping on the ground.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Put a 2 gallon accessory tank on the luggage rack. Ditch the kitchen sink and garden tools. Or maybe you could get one of those popup motorcycle trailers. That'd solve the space problem.

My solution is to stay in motels and B&Bs. I've done enough sleeping on the ground.
But.... But.... I LOVE Gardening!

(and how will I wash my hands after transplanting Begonias without the sink?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.