Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding today on paved roads at reasonable speeds when my fork assembly came apart on the right side. I got home without any real problems other than a lot of fluid loss. None of the components look damaged and I can't figure out why this happened with no warning. Anyone else ever have this problem who can elaborate on how bad the damage is?
The bike is an 07 that I bought in November with 5000 miles on it. I've put just under 3000 miles on it, and it's still under warranty. I welcome opinions on if this could not be predicted, if it's completely my fault, or if the dealer should've been able to prevent this with a full inspection prior to sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Assuming the threads aren't all buggered - just ensure the proper amount of oil is in it, then re-assemble the fork.

The fork-cap wasn't quite tight-enough, and the lower triple-clamp was also a bit loose. The up-down-up-down of the fork stanchions (and the natural motion of the right-handed-coil of the spring winding up and down) caused it to rotate and unscrew-itself.

Make certain the lower clamp isn't cracked (inspect BOTH SIDES!), or worn/warped, and torque it to spec.

Instead of that; I just noticed you said it's still under Warranty - take it to the Dealer and have THEM do all this. Be Nice - it's not really something they could have forseen, but it's something that should have been checked by the Service Department.

Likely, they'll fall all-over themselves to please you, especially when you mention words like "I could have been Injured or Killed had I not been paying-attention and riding within my limits"."Potential Lawsuit", blah-blah-blah, etc. and so-forth. (NICELY! remember) I'd also have them look-over the rest of the bike, with particular attention to the suspension and drivetrain and wheels/axles.

You might even be able to get a free Farkle or an Oil-Change out of it, if you're a smooth-talker.

DEFINITELY keep an eye on these afterward, and at the first sign of this happening again (which it probably won't) take it back and INSIST on a new lower triple-clamp.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Like AirHawk said.

And when you get the bike back take some time and go around and check for any other loose fasteners.

Could have been that enterprising soul changed the fluid or put in a new fork seal and didn't retorque the fork.

Hey. That rhymes!

·
Registered
540 Posts
What Airhawk said (and Seruzawa), though you definitely lost some fork oil. They ought to change the fork oil for you at the dealership, god knows what got in there while you were riding. I'd push for them to examine the damping/internals/valve (depening on the type of fork) too. Metal shavings could play hell with a well tuned fork cartridge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the sound advice and explanation. I've posted in several forums, and have gotten more replies about lawsuits or accusations that I did it myself than helpful tips.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well see, we're profesionals here, not like those other wanker sites.....you stick with us son, you'll go far....

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Is it now time to advise him to soak the entire bike in warm salt water for three days?

WMG, when you get the bike back together, mark both tubes with a Sharpie (or grease pencil) right where the split in the tree is. Just a little mark, so you can see if the tube is rotating.

I'm betting the tree clamp bolt was loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just spoke witht he service dept. Apparently, there were no pinch bolts on the bottom of either fork. The right side just worked itself free first. They were very apologetic and professional and are looking into how this could've gotten through the pre-sale inspection.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
well good deal then, it's always best to try to resolve the problem first in a reasonable manner before you go throwing rocks through the windows.....

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Just spoke witht he service dept. Apparently, there were no pinch bolts on the bottom of either fork. The right side just worked itself free first. They were very apologetic and professional and are looking into how this could've gotten through the pre-sale inspection.
Happens that way sometimes. So long as you're happy with the final result (i.e. they make it right, and appease you however else you feel is fair), and nobody got hurt (thankfully!), chalk it up to "one more thing".

I'll bet there won't be another bike leave their shop without the bolts being checked, you can be sure.

While I don't think they "Owe you the Store", I DO believe they owe you at least a free oil change or something similar for your trouble. In the interest of "Customer Relations". Were it my shop, you'd have two or three of 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.