Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
"This past year the price of an oil barrel on the world oil market has hit an all time high."

Is that inflation-adjusted? Methinks not.

"Here in Europe, the fuel prices are already considerably higher than in the US."

Because of taxation, not supply-and-demand.

"A similar development already seems to have affected the US car market considering the somewhat unexpected sales success of the Toyotas hybrid engine technology."

A ridiculous fad, not nearly as big as everyone's making it.

"Its combination of a conventional fuel motor with several electric engines seems to result in considerable better gas mileage"

Honda CRX's were getting 50 mpg back in '85. Priuses are getting less than that in the real world.

"The added advantage of this hybrid technology is that the electric engines, while noise-wise rather unspectacular, can be very nice torque monsters - they may outperform even big block fuel-based motors."

And the disadvantages are - added complexity, added cost, and battery packs that will require replacement after 60,000 miles or so for a couple thousand dollars and, being huge and lead-acid, will be an environmental disaster to dispose of. On balance, hybrids are more environmentally destructive than a standard car. Oh, and apparently, emergency crews aren't thrilled about working near these things - something about the shock danger.

"In about ten to twenty years we might see that mineral oil-based fuel has become so expensive that its use even in motorcycles may no longer be affordable for Joe Public. "

Heard the same thing in the '70's. According to Paul Ehrlich and his crew, we were supposed to be oilless, frozen in the pollution-caused Ice Age, and starving by now.

Back to the fuel cells - if they do catch on, I hope they have evaporation collectors on them - imagine New York City in the summer with every car spitting water vapor. Of course, between the NIMBYs and the trial lawyers, there will never be hydrogen filling stations of the density of present day gas stations, so it's moot.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Finally

What fuel do you use in your biodiesal car, kpaul?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Biodiesel production is a winner not a loser (facts and data not opinions)

"Give me facts and data next time not opinons out of your arse..."

Kettle, pot, etc.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: I thought you would never ask

So you own and drive a Volkswagen that burns biodiesal? How does it perform? Where do you get the fuel? What is the per-mile-cost of the fuel compared to gasoline?

I'm looking for your real-world experience because I've been reading about biodiesal for two years and I still don't see it going anywhere. The Prius is selling on hype but biodiesal doesn't seem to be finding a market . I'm curious why.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Biodiesel production is a winner not a loser (facts and data not opinions)

I was referring to your chronic out-arse-talking in every other thread.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

I love Google.

"Turning plants such as corn, soybeans and sunflowers into fuel uses much more energy than the resulting ethanol or biodiesel generates, according to a new Cornell University and University of California-Berkeley study.

Ecologist David Pimentel...says that his analysis shows that producing ethanol uses more energy than the resulting fuel generates.

"There is just no energy benefit to using plant biomass for liquid fuel," says Pimentel, professor of ecology and agriculture at Cornell. "These strategies are not sustainable."

Of course, kpaul will just say that these are typical red-state oil-loving conservatives. From Cornell. And Berkeley.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Disclaimer: Not coming to KP/SBB's defense!

What it boils down to is this - if biodiesal was so gosh-darn awesome and easy, we'd all be doing it. That's how the open marketplace of ideas works.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Still haven't answered my questions, kpaul. Tell me about your biodiesal car.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Where do you live?

"I am guessing it's a Red State?"

Are you talking to me? If so, you're wrong again (shocking, I know). I live in bluer-than-blue Maine.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Study only applies to methanol

My God, you're thick.

The study only applies to methanol? Well, let's see:

"Turning plants such as corn, soybeans and sunflowers into fuel uses much more energy than the resulting ethanol or biodiesel generates, according to a new Cornell University and University of California-Berkeley study."

Um, I see the words "ethanol" and "BIODIESEL", kpaul, old buddy. Do you see them? Take another look. See if they can penetrate your filter.

"Plus an ecology professor won't have the last word the market will.. "

No sh!t. And it is.

"Right now biodiesel is selling above regular diesel ..."

What, the diesal/bio blend that's about 90% dino and 10% veggie? Well, hell, that's revolutionary. We're saved.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
"We, however, go our merry way running up huge deficits with ever increasing debt service."

And Europe goes on its merry way with cradle-to-grave entitlements that cannot be maintained with a birthrate lower than the replacement rate. Wanna bet whose bills come due first?

But I'll agree with you, government spending has to be slashed to match the most excellent tax cuts.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
"Then we could complain about horse poop and flys everywhere."

Exactly. Nothing's ever good enough because it's not perfect>. And free.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

" kpaul walks the walk"

Uh-huh. Got a catalytic converter on your 600? I'd be curious how much emissions it produces compared to, say, an SUV.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: Ah, the environmentally friendly

But things aren't perfect.

And free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.