Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.. Talk about a Red State vs Blue State contrast maybe even Boomer vs Gen X and Y.. Seattle has a bicycle helmet law. No big deal.. I think for us 40 and below who have grown up using helmets for hockey, skateboarding, roller blades, and bicycling the opposition to helmet laws seems so childish. I suspect all the baby boomers in Salt lake are the ones doing the whinning. I am very skeptical that bicyclist are against it. When I was ridding a ton and was a member of a local Seattle bicycle club I didn't know of anyone who didn't wear a helmet. Salt Lake folks seem a little silly to me. Freedom my ass.. They can pay for extra health costs then.. Another idiotic bably boomer selfish thing... Heck I ski with a helmet now... Ever since Sony Bono passed away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's funny that it IS the bicyclists that are most up in arms about this. Every cycling org in the state has come out against this. And yes, ABATE is just now joining the foray on the side of motorcyclists rights. However, Abate's membership is way out numbered by the pedelers.

slo1 in Utah

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are "blue" and do not have motorcycle helmet laws.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
My bad. Substitute "Connecticut" for "Vermont."

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they are more purple than blue.. Especially NH and Maine.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Well, you always divide things by "red" and "blue." You didn't mention "purple."

Maine is VERY blue, BTW. The two Republican senators are RINOs.

Of the 20 states with mandatory helmet laws for all riders, 11 are red states.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Oh, and NH is getting "bluer" and "bluer" thanks to an influx of Massholes who have soiled their own nest and are now ruining another one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What's interesting is the "progressive states" pass mandatory nanny laws of all sorts, while complaining about govt. intrusion. What's more, all the groups I see pedaling around here are wearing helmets. Given the mayor's popularity in some circles I think he may have a hard time making this one fly.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I don't live in Salt Lake. I don't go there much either ever since they screwed up the downtown area and made it so unfriendly. When that last crooked Mayor, Didi, said, "Don't bring your cars downtown" I took her advice. I don't think I've been downtown more than 6 times in the last ten years. ("Crooked mayor" is a redundancy).

Between the nanny-staters and the greed crew who freak out at the thought that they might have to pay an extra buck in medical costs..... screw both of 'em. Mind your own business. There's not one of you that I couldn't find some dangerous behavior to ban that you behave in yourselves. So just STFU.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Mind your own business. There's not one of you that I couldn't find some dangerous behavior to ban that you behave in yourselves. So just STFU."

Like riding motorcycles, for instance.

Somehow I think the risk differential (and health costs) between riding and not riding is far greater than the differential between helmeted riding and non-helmeted riding.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I suspect that it’s only a matter of time before the "safety-first" 40 and under crowd (of which the Kook is so proudly a member) figures out that donning a helmet while bicycling, motorcycling, skiing, skating, etc. is only nibbling around the edges of the safety issue. The real issue is the underlying unsafe activity. As a non-skateboarder, I stand zero risk of injury while riding a skateboard, a risk that is infinitely less than the risk assumed by the skateboard rider, irrespective of the amount of safety gear worn by the rider. Unfortunately, I still retain a small amount of skateboard injury risk because I could be struck by an inattentive skateboarder. Hmmm……. Maybe us non-skateboarders should attempt to minimize our passive risk by outlawing a risky activity in which we do not participate. No downside to me and we could save the skateboarders from themselves and eliminate an unnecessary risk to innocent passersby as well.

There are many of us that rail at the loss of liberty even when we are not directly affected by that loss. We understand what America is all about. Unfortunately, we are losing ground to the safety geeks. Ultimately, our sport will be banned by those seeking to protect us from ourselves. I hope to be dead by then.

(By the way, Kook, Sonny Bono would have died in that skiing accident even if he had been wearing a helmet. But don’t let that take away from that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you helmet-up before launching yourself down a snow-covered hill.)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I learned to wear a helmet on the little bus so I wear one when I ride both my bicycle and mo'cycle. I really like the idea of putting lots of information in the hands of the masses and trusting them to make wise choices. I don't wear a helmet when I drive my car. Probably should but I do have the freedom of choice. God damn it, we all die anyway. Let's have a chance to live before we do and please don't make me live the way you think I should. I think I need to go sit on the little bus now.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The europeanization of America continues to chug along right on schedule.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Once the Security Moms (NOT gender specific - I garrrrrooooottteeee you) are done with us....

Rest assured - they WILL win. Unless we have some biblical grade trouble. And who will the "safety & security for all nannys turn? 3 guesses and the first two don't count.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Schizuki don't misunderstand my position. I'm with you on the benefits of protective gear. I think you are a idiot if you ride without it but the question is where you draw the line on Big Mother holding your hand. It can be dangerous to your health just getting up in the morning. I propose a govt. program that will pay me about 100k a year to sleep till noon or there about.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.