Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
HD should do just that. Or buy Ducati. But folks say there is no money in sport bikes. Yet we keep seing folks get into the mix. KTM etc. Give Eric Buell a beautiful Ducati V-4 to work with. Oh well I figure I have 5 years of good H-D dividends left then it is time to sell.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Where does all the money come from? Looks like a huge potential for embarrassment. Good luck, KR. You'll need it in bucketsfull.

On the other hand, any success at all will look huge!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You know, I seem to remember HD having a sportbike line of their own, but I can't remember the name... must be getting old.

I also remember them running some kind of sportbike in a race series... whatever happened to that?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good luck to KR. What did this mean?:

"Proton’s Rapid Prototyping facility was invaluable in the rapid development programme, allowing chassis and engine layouts to be tried and decided with scale models even before the engine was actually built."

Did they sneak a Honda RC211V and copy its engine, suspension and fuel tank? If you can't beat them copy them its almost as good as joining them.

I'm guessing if they've got the chassis right it will competitive.

As for HD you guys must remember the Aermacchi days particularly in the 70's with the 2 strokes - Walter Villa winning a world title etc. Here in NZ Ginger Molloy raced an HD 350 2-stroke with great success.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you're being sarcastic, sorry about being so dense and replying...

Harley campaigned the VR1000 sportbike in ama superbike series. They did it for a few years, I think their best place was a 5th. Supposedly one major cause of the demise of the bike and HD superbike racing was design by committee, as well as a general animosity toward the program which was non-union in a VERY union company.

But some of the lessons learned were applied toward the V-rod, so it wasn't a complete loss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Perhaps, didn't porsche make the engine? I think they used cues from the liquid-cooled liter v-twin to the design process for the v-rod.

Quality control and exhaustive testing came from the Buell school of though, I believe. But he also subcontracted almost the entire line of new streetfighter bikes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.