Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's stories like this, and a Fred Rau column, that cased me to put my half helmet away forever. Riding gear has gotten much better, and cheaper. I still don't wear my riding pants all the time, but armoured jacket, gloves, boots and full face helmet are always one no matter how hot it gets. I'm glad you're OK.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This kind of thing makes me just cringe when I see things like the Discovery Channel show about Sturgis. Camera zooms up and down main street where thousands of bikes are passing through. Not a helmet in sight. T-shirts. Sandals. Girls in bikinis.

What really astonishes me is them saying (paraphrased) "Todays bikers are likely to be professionals... doctors and lawyers, partly because of the cost of the (Harleys) bikes."

These people can't afford to, or are too dense to get some lifesaving gear?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I got clipped this summer on my Triumph on I-5 doing about 65mph. Long story short, bike was totaled, I did a few tumbles and slid on my belly for 15 or 20 yards. The end result was the Trophy totaled, my JR Ballistic 4.0 scuffed all over and ground through on the right forearm., my Shoei RF900 scuffed and faceshield scratched, my Olypmpic sport gloves ground through in a few spots, my Sidi On Roads scuffed a little, and my OD green Old Navy Cargos ground through in a few spots, and me getting beat to sh*t.

"47 year old bodies arn't meant to hit the ground at high speed" the ER Doctor told me, though him and the State Patrol, first responders and mostly me were amazed that I got up and walked away from it. The bottom line is protective gear saved me from a major loss of soft tissue and blood, armor in my jacket saved my shoulder and elbow from major damage, and my helmet kept my mug lookin' good. As it was my elbow was swollen like a melon and my back still hurts.

At the risk of offending some people who I consider friends, if you're riding without a helmet and gear you're asking for it. It's that simple. I've got almost 40 years of riding experiance and I thought skill and awareness would keep me safe. Well I was wrong, sometimes physics and geometry take over and there ain't a f*cking thing you can do but ride it out and hope you survive.

In my case it was typical West Coast D.W.A., suspended license, no insurance car load of gang-bangers f*ckin' around in traffic and me and some other guy who was in a cage but got hurt worse than me pay the price.

Wear your gear. Someday you'll need it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad to know you were OK. I ride on Southern California freeways and I always wear armored jacket (Joe Rocket), helmet, gloves, boots (but often wear jeans). I figure it'll never happen to me, but if it does as I am going full tilt on the freeway

I'd rather be protected. I know it might not save me from injury, but I like the odds and stories like yours make me feel like it's worth sweating in the summer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Great story MO...Good to hear you weren't hurt bad vfryellowboy...Nothing like full-face helmet to protect you. Oh my weekend rides I wear my full-face Shoei, AlpineStar boots and gloves, Frank Thomas jacket and ballatic pants. I saw a guy go down wearing only blue jeans it wasn't pretty. In March I am getting Vanson leathers when I go to Freddy's on my birthday....

** Welcome sportbikebandit, your account expires in 3 days. Please Renew!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Excellent Post Sarnali

So that's what happened to the Trophy. I am glad you came out ok... I got hit by a guy in my car in on 99 once same story suspened licence no insurance I was ok wearing seat belts. He wasn't wearing belts and he hit the windshield with his head. Like wearing belts in a car wearing a helmet can save your life. The cop/tropper who investigated the accident said I would have probably been dead from looks of my car if I wouldn't have been wearing the belt. Only had a bruise from the belt...but walked away.. The other guy spent months in the hospital...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Nothin' can beat a good ole' fashion testifyin'! Good job, and keep lookin' busy, Sarnali!

When its cold enough for black ice, I just don't ride until it gets warmer. Period. But I live in the sometimes sunny SE-USA. Costs me very few riding days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is it really that hard? I subscribe to the theory that I only cover what I want to keep. Anything left out will not make it. I always wear full protective gear. I ride aware and I ride hard where I can. If I want to keep riding, I will always need to "protect my ability to ride".

paul from Minnesota

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yep,,glad you made it,my friends.As I said ,I used to work emergency room here in Vegas and New York,and have seen many motorcycle accidents,Including some TERMINATOR/CYBORG ones.You know where machines and humans become one?Too gory for me this early in the morning to mention.But yeah ,these guys said it better than I ever could.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.