Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Quick bike for a tall guy

Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono, Yamaha FZ1, Ducati Multistrada, Kawasaki Z1000 or ZRX1200. All are quick, have standard seating positions and would fit you pretty well as they are all bigger bikes. Personally I think they are all good-looking....even the Multistrada...well, in black anyway if you don't look at it from the front....:)

·
Registered
157 Posts

180...One of my legs weighs 180, but I am an inch taller...The Ulysses sounds like a good choice to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm 6'7" 36" inseam & ride a Uly. Plenty of legroom on that one. There are a lot of other bikes that fit these days though. I'm surprised how comfortable most sportbikes feel these days, they didn't used to. Try a ZX14.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

Ducati MultiStrada, Yamaha FJR, Triumph ST, Suzuki 'Busa (dairyland insurance rates it as a sport tour bike), BMW R1200ST- all are great rides and, from an insurance agent point of view, cheap to insure. A newer bike that is old school cool but new school tech- the Ducati sport classic GT model. I just rode one and it will be my next bike. But I like old school (see the motor) looks.

BTW, you qualified saying no touring. Not Sport-tour. Take the bags off of any of these or just don't order the bags in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I'm 6-3 w/ a 36 inch inseam and ride an FJR. No problem with legroom or sore knees. Pretty quick bike too. Not a ZX-14 by any means, but it can get out of its own way. Also, relatively cheap insurance, low maintenance and even runs fine on 87 octane gas.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I have a ZX14, and a lot of the guys on the forum are 6'3"+ and heavier. They seem very pleased. It is still a sportbike position, though.

How about the KTM Adventure? The S model, if you want really tall. Great all-around bike w/some flare. Suzuki V-Strom, if you're more on a budget and/or want to emphasize comfort on the road.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

I've got a friend who's 6-3 with long legs and he rides a R1150RT with the hiway pegs mounted on the cylinder heads. When we're out on the open road he kicks back like a Harley-dude. However, no one would describe a boxer as "quick."

The Buell Ulysses is mighty tall as is the KTM. At 5-10 I was totally tippy-toe on the Uly.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I too have a vertical impediment (6'3" with a 34" inseam) when it comes to bikes. I too have owned two BMWs before I purchased my Triumph Daytona 955I. It fits tall riders, and has proven itself very reliable, comfortable, and extremely agile. I have logged 8 hour trips with tail and tank bags, with ease and comfort. Great styling, single sided swingarm, awsome exhaust note, and still rare enough that there won't be a sea of them at your local bike night. The only drawback I can think of is since Triumph is far from the revenue mainstream of the Japanese motorcycles, you have to hunt a little for aftermarket accessories. Other than that, check out the MO article on the Daytona 955i, and check one out at your local dealer!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts

+1 for the Daytona 955i. I'm 6'3" w/ 33-34 inseam and 200lbs. I did put some cycle-cat bar risers on. I find the bike to be comfy, however, if you wear liners in your leathers or jeans under an aerostitch you will find the bend at the knee a bit tight. I put 3/4" of memory foam in my stock seat and it helps a bunch. I suppose a sheepskin pad would do the same.

The Buell Uly is also a kick and tons of leg room.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts

You need a RT for weather protection in SD with all that rain last week-end. Friday brunch at the cottage in La Jolla was perfect, weather and all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha I win! I am 6'9 255 pounds sporting a 38' inseam.

I ride an Aprilia Futura, stock with no mods and fits perfectly. More leg room than the FJR.

Notes on other bikes:

+05 Triumph Triples = Sprint didn't work for me, the fairing bumps the knees. Speed Triple rocks but needs new handle bars (felt like a wheel burrow).

V-Stroms = So confy but a little ugly, both 650 and the 1000cc would work. Hell the SV650 isn't bad either. SV1000 is hard on the legs.

ZRX1200 = Works well, no longer made

Z1000 = Good fit, go with Speed Triple instead.

Fz1 = old ones are very nice, I did not fit on the new ones (fairing knee rub)

ZX1400 = slight knee on fairing, you would fit but I would wait for the touring one unless you like having every crotch rocket wanting to race you.

Busa = fit good

BMW K1200 = confy and fit on the naked and the one with a fairing (R and S)... I would wait for the tourer one ($$$)

Aprilia Tuono = Old one my boot would hit the exhaust, I have not sat on the new one.

VFRs = Fits well, I would be tempted to wait for the update (that may never come). Honda 919 is good but a little blah for my taste.

KTM = Adventure is a great fit, and so is the new Supermoto. Get the supermoto if range is not important.

Buell Ulysess = Nice fit, I wanted to like it but I can't get over the lack of top end on the engine. I hit the Buell long on the rubber frame nubs. Try it before you buy it.

Ducati Monsters = good on the arms, too cramped on the legs.

FJR1300 = works well, I like my bikes smaller however.

If you want to stick with beemers go with a R1200, I haven't tried it but I bet it's a good fit. Best looker of the Beemer bunch.

-Matt

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

I went riding on the Duc last weekend in the rain and got stranded on hiway 94 in the boonies when my brand new slave cylinder gave out. Hopefully it ends a stretch of bad vehicular luck!

Two weekends ago I pummeled a raccoon in my BMW and tore out the front air dam. On the way back from Phoenix, a rock hit the windshield of my truck and cracked it and now the Duc deal. Oi!

I'll be in an airplane tomorrow so cross your fingers for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6'2' with a 36" inseam. i have a Ducati Monster with the ride height set to max. Fits me fine. I've ridden a Buell Ulysses, Lightning Long, and Speed triple. all those fit good too. I would also recomend the new Triumph ST.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.