Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great idea. I guess the gubberment should require them to wear helmets when riding in cars as well, so as to better protect them from traumatic head injury in an automobile crash.

If it only saves one life....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love the logical leap made between these two paragraphs (emphasis mine):

Still, a few recalcitrant lawmakers continue to conjure images of Big Brother. They say parents should decide whether their children wear helmets.

Nice try. But parents can't protect themselves or their kids from reckless or distracted drivers.
Wearing a helmet gives a biker a fighting chance to enjoy a longer, healthier life.
I don't think even Evel Knievel could make that jump on a rocket-powered bike. So.. passing a law requiring helmets also grants parents the superpowers they need to save themselves or their kids from reckless or distracted drivers? That's awesome. I want the power to grow into a giant like Apache Chief.

The writer ought to just say what they really mean: "I don't trust people to raise their children the way I think they should. Someone ought to pass a law."

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I can't believe the two news items I submitted in the past two weeks were deemed not as postworthy as this, another kpaul dead horse.

And he says he's censored...

·
Registered
872 Posts
But this one is about kids!

So, are they talking about kids riding motorcycles legally on the street?

How many parents buy their 16 year old kids motorcycles, and those kids go out and pass the test to get a legal motorcycle license?

I suspect any kid that does that (or saves and buys himself a motorcycle and then does that) is probably pretty darn responsible and is likely wearing a helmet.

I mean, this only matters for the 2 years until the kid becomes an adult and then the law doesn't affect them anymore. Talk about a silly law.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
A few years back I made the mistake of going fishing at a lake in an ATV approved forest area near Ft Bridger, WY for Labor Day weekend. I saw so dammed many idiot parents blasting around on 4-wheelers with little kids, unhelmeted, on them that I simply couldn't believe it. I mean including infants. The parents riding around like this were of course unhelmeted and some of them didn't even wear eye protection... all on dirt roads.

That's when I realized that Western Civilzation is doomed. No number of laws no matter how well intentioned can protect children from such stupid parents. Pass a helmet law.. the parents will just give their kids scissors and tell them to run around. Putting cameras in everyones' homes ala 1984 won't work either because the people watching the cameras are just as stupid or stupider than the people being watched.

It's all over.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Doesn't matter as the argument is that you have some douche bag screaming "HELMETS SAVE LIVES" no matter how retarded the implementation is.

Certain assclowns love government intrusion and will defend it no matter how much the legislation cost everyone.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
NO! WE NEED GOVERNMENT EVERYWHERE! They are efficient and know how to protect us!

Well, the dumbass ATVers (not against ATVs or the ability to ride them on public land) would not pay attention to their surroundings and a lot of people would go shooting in the same area (the gun owners were there long before the ATVers. Long before).

Now, no one was ever shot, but since the ATVers for the most part were RUBs and were afraid of guns, they *****ed and moaned about how dangerous it was until they banned shooting in a lot of areas.

Oddly enough there were at least a half a dozen instances when an ATVer would try to make it across the road to the other side of the national forest and would get nailed by a car.

For some reason they didn't ban the cars.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Rent the movie "Idiocracy." It will explain everything.

Come to think of it, I think kpaul's dead-horse news items are MO's equivalent of the hit TV show of the future, "Ow, My Balls!"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A different conclusion

Seruzawa, when I read your first paragraph I conclude that Darwin is hard at work and the stupid rich a**hole gene will soon be flushed out of the pool. Unless, of course, we pass a buncha’ laws that allow them to be stupid and take out the rest of us without injury to themselves (airbags and crumple zones come to mind).

It's "all over" only if they live long enough to reproduce. Put 'em all in Corvairs, I say, and let them bear the consequences of being stupid!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I've got an old 4 wheeler for hauling stuff around my cabin amd you see them used a lot by ranchers, etc. But the idea of using one for fun is ridiculous. Off road motorcycles are superior in almost every way to 4 wheelers IMHO. 4 wheelers are farking heavy and if you roll one they roll over you. Emergency rooms are full of these clowns on weekends who seriously injure themselves.

So many idiots think that 4 wheelers are safer than two wheelers. That's another example of one of those "everybody knows" facts that are completely false.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: A different conclusion

I'd agree with you, but they seem to reproduce faster than they can kill themselves off. The numbers of these people have skyrocketed in the last few years driving us out of some of our favorite getaway areas.

Maybe I'm just experiencing a random cluster effect locally. I sure hope so.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Re: A different conclusion

Well, they are already on ATVS without helmets and protective gear. Just tell them to start jumping sand dunes. It will take care of several generations all at once.

Now if we could only start building Starbucks on active minefields we would really make some progress.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.