Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
No thanks!

Dajet,

"need aprox 200 more) into escrow, contingent upon public funding, for a private race track"

Dig deeper into your own pocket, not the publics. We don't need another Orange County Tollroad Authority...

Philip

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, as a San Diego biker and sports-car owner, all I can say is: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this become a reality!!!!!! :)

I'll even donate time or a small amount of money (I'm not rich) to the cause - let me know how I can help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As another San Diegan biker, I think it is a great idea and would be willing to donate some time on the project (MO username: Ruche).

Have you thought of building the track in TECATE, MEX. Talk about low regulations, cheap land, and nice twisty roads to get there from San Diego... just getting there would be a joy of its own.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: No thanks!

What are you talking about? I don't think he is talking about taxes here, but something more along the line of public ownership (ie:stock).

California won't even build power stations, you think their going to take their tax revenue and spend it on racetracks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Always going up to Willow is a complete drag. I also do YSR and the nearest tracks are all pretty far away, too. Lots of money in big tracks but also a lot of money and interest from the kart and YSR guys for a kart track.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd love to see a track closer to SD than Willow. I thought there was a plan in the works to try to build a track in the Otay Mesa area (Ray Rubio, San Diego Grand Prix, etc). Has that come to nought? It wouldn't surprise me, since there are probably already too many NIMBYs entrenched down there (not to mention "big time developers" who own most of the land).

Can your track support itself, and repay the investors, based on user fees alone? If not, then can you attract pro events, and convince a large enough audience to go out to Imperial County? You're unlikely to draw many people from LA way out there.

I really, really, hope this can be made to work. But I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is definitely a possibility. My business partner and I are avid motorcyclists and racers (primarily at Willow) have kicked around for years how to develop a new venue. The need for another road racing facility in So. Cal. is obvious. Uses? Motorcycle Club racing (CCS, AFM, New club) track days, Wera, AMA bike team private testing, AMA? possibly after a few years of development...Car Clubs, SCCA, CART, Formula 2000 and other pro car team testing - plus with the close proximity to LA with auto and bike magazines, advertising agencies, and of course Hollywood, there are more than enough local "clients" to support a mid level facility. Funding would have to be private, starting with an initial 30 - 40 million, with an approximate total of 100m over 5 years. At that point in development it would be considered a national (international too?) level racing facility. There are over 20 m people in so. Cal.,and it is the car/bike capital of the world. Go for it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: No thanks!

"Public funding" can mean anything...

States, counties and cities have a bad habit/track record with ventures of this type. And it is done all of the time.

The City of San Bernardino, CA has sunk monies into malls, retail movies venues and other garbage investments. This type of investment is paid for out of "Redevelopment" funding from the Federal Gov. Local govenments (cities, etc) have to match x percent of these funds to get the Fed money. Cities are more than happy to issue bonds, take out loans, anything - shift the burden to the tax payer - for short-term cash... Cities can suck from the "Redevelopment" t*t with out asking tax payers.

I'm all for a new race track. Just don't ask the fed, state or local tax payer for a penny.

Philip

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a track being built near Houston for similar reasons, but with no public money except tax breaks. It is the Grand Sport Speedway in , TX. It will have a road course, a drag strip, and maybe something involving dirt. Houston SCCA Solo IIs are already held there on a short course. It will compete with Texas World Speedway and Houston Raceway Park (fastest drag strip in the US), so if they can do it so can you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
MAAAAAAANNNN, S.D. can't even get a baseball stadium put together with out allot of Bul$h!t flying around. Could you imagine what would happen with a race track. They will about parking, noise and don’t forget the environmental impact that it will have. Bunch of crybabies in S.D. I know because I live there. I for one would love to see a racetrack in S.D. because Willow Spring is to far away and to dam hot. Well I just bought allot of Lotto ticket so let hope I win. If I do I will build the dam track myself. The Lotto is up to 90 million.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. I like the plan to locate in Imperial County. Gets away from SD County and the multiple problems of SD county officials, land developers for housing, a guy named Bruce, etc. This is a sorely needed venue for San Diegans. As a former road racer and present dirt biker and street rider, my family and I would take advantage of a local track facility often. Go for it! Need any help? I'm in Poway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has been a dream project of mine.. YES, there is a huge market for having a track in San Diego and that's just the local people I'm talking about here. It's a PRIME location to have a roadracing course, and the location you picked out most likely won't have much red tape like that which happened with the hoopla surrounding the stadium. Most of this was traffic congestion complaints as we are already having problems with increased traffic and such. You can definately find some venture capital for this project... just ask around and make some connections if you don't already have any. Building a track will take a long time and a lot of initial investment, but the eventual payoff will be terrific in San Diego.. but that's my STRONG opinion. You should network with the NUMEROUS San Diego racing clubs, import clubs, motorcycle clubs, dealerships both car and motorcycle, etc.. discuss joint business ventures, talk about increased business and attraction for the motorsports industry in San Diego, etc.. you can go all out!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.