Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding that last comment from Colin...

Does anybody know how hard it would be for Honda to use the RC211V in World Superbike competition?

I know there are homologation rules, where they have to sell a small number of vaguely similar machines to the general public, but that's doable. What else would prevent such a move? Do superbike rules even allow for a V-5 engine configuration (albeit with a smaller displacement)?

Just curious...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Current WSB rules allow for 750cc fours, 900cc triples and 1000cc twins, all production based. There are no rules permitting five cylinder bikes as far as I know. If they did, I expect they would have to be smaller than 750cc. Also, the production rule is a sticking point. WSB demands they be production bikes, not just engines. However, the FIM stipulates that the new Grand Prix engines be exclusively racing engines, not production based. So I would say, no, they can't run the RC211V or even a variant of it in WSB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem with WSB homologation for the RC211V is that if Honda does it, it will no longer qualify to be raced as a GP bike. GP 4-stroke rules specify that it is restricted to prototypes only and cannot be placed into production.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... very interesting. I hadn't heard about the prototype-only rule for GP bikes. My thanks to both MartialStax and Hager for the informed responses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw "denied he was interested in racing the RC211V in the grands prix" and immediately thought that he might be interested in racing it (or a variant of it) in WSB.

Different minds, different inferences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a video can be found here:http://www.tochigitv.com/~yuzawa/

(real player file)

In fact I'm very disappointed with the sound. I expected much better. it's not that much better than a V4 rc45. I think we all want to hear great sounds like the ones that could make 6 cylinders honda in the 60s. I red that people found the ow m1 sound disappointing. The rc211 is even worse than yamahas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah.. that's a kicker, ain't it! The AMA lets them get away with this through some loop-holes or something, I'm sure... I've never heard of anyone actually buying a VR1000 street-bike :)

Beyond that, no one is complaing that much b/c they aren't exactly -competitive- in the series either. If they were winning everything in sight, I'm sure the other manufacturers would scream loud and long.

I think it comes down to letting them 'play' to throw some interest to the series and to give them a format to experiment... it brought us the V-Rod and like that bike or not, I think it's a good step for HD.

-James

·
Registered
21 Posts
But it doesn't sound good at all. Sounds like a Fiat that's about to blow up.

Sound really should be irrelevant shouldn't it? But those inline fours sure do the right sounds to me. The Benelli triple sounded pretty cool at Laguna Seca as well. I like Twins at idle but not redline.

That v5 sounds too weird for words. What was Honda thinking?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.