Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Duke 950

Can a two cylinder bike really be a supermoto? It just doesn't seem right. Not that the Duke was ever really a supermoto in the past.

BTW, I have earned my right to be a supermotard bigot. I have been patiently replacing failed parts on a Husqvarna SM610S all summer. Of course even the Husky, having lights and electric start and a counterbalancer is on the porky side (320+ lbs) for a supermoto.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All right John, I will be the fall guy. I will throw you a bone so that you can have something to get *****@d off about this weekend.

Yeah finally! Yippee!

Every other on-line site has provided in-depth and meaningful commentary from Intermot. After all, it's only the single most important event with respect to new and exciting offerings for the coming model year.

Even the newstand version of Motorcyclist Magazine (hey, didn't you used to work there) provides more in-depth coverage of new motorcycles launched at Intermot than MO has.

What are you doing around there fellas, playing grab ass with the interns?

The readers on this site are interested and starved for timely content and not just some content from moto-whatever.com. For goodness sake, did you even mention that the SV650 has a new look? Sure you point out the obvious that the SV now has a bigger brother, but what about its beloved little sibling?

All righty then JB... Flame me... I am hoping to acheive KPaul status buddy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice job Yossef. I'm glad to hear MV Agusta has found new investors (spares for the F4). The Brutale must also be produced. Next time add some glamour shots. Everyone knows new bikes must be accompanied by babes to properly judge scale.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hey, point me to those sites. I'm kind of into bikes too. Motorcyclist ragazine? Production schedule must've really speeded up then, since the show was this week. They really called that new CBR1200XX though...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was a little dissapointed at how long it took to get intermot photos up, but at least I read the article re the SV650. It shows a picture of the SV1000, describes it a little and says "Lil' bro SV650 gets same frame/styling treatment." Not comprehensive, no, but it does "mention that the SV650 has a new look."

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm 33, and I'm certainly not left "cold" by bikes like an LC8 powered Duke, the revised Mille R, CBR 600RR, and just about anything else that goes vrooom and can lean into a corner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Compliment

I am thrilled by the coverage of Intermot 2002. Thanks to Yossef. I only wish there were more pictures. (especially KTM and Ducati)

So...what's interesting? I liked the Ducati Multistrada last year and it has continued to grow on me over the last year. I am very excited to see it in the flesh and give it a try. 2004 seems a long way off, but the KTM Duke 950 is extremely cool. Great specs. Great looks.

With the V-Strom and the aforementioned KTM and Ducati it looks as if manufacturers are building from two directions 1. The BMW GS-like off-road influenced twin. 2. Supermotard. Very exciting!

I guess I'll have to make some space in the garage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's nuts! No, not any of the bikes, althought "nuts" could be used to describe the 999 and 749's designers, if they think it's 1/1000th as smooth, sexy, or stylin' as the 916/996 was. Does the word ugly spring to mind? Yes, I believe it does.

But no, actually I'm talking about the guy in the picture. Did you see the movie? It's the link that says "personal". Watch the vid, and see what you think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Nuts

Re - 999/749 - it is a truth every reviewer is dancing around right now - that they do not look as sexy/good/delicious as the 916/748 styles. And the Multistrada is just odd. Sorry, neither look dropdead sexy the way I think a Ducati should.

As for the "Personal" link - that is so nuts I'm surprised no one else thought of it before:)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I KNOW that I am getting old (52), but I gotta say that the Duke and the MZ both give me serious wood!

As for the 999, it is growing on me, but I don't see it ever achieving the status of the old 916/998/748 -- from an aesthetic viewpoint. Functionally, it sounds like the new one is far superior.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Duke 950

>>patiently replacing failed parts on a Husqvarna<<

Are you suggesting that lack of failing parts is what prevents a Duke or Duke II from qualifying as a true SuperMoto? ;-)

Seriously, I don't think anyone would really consider either to be a supermoto, although the concept was certainly influenced by real supermotos.

Personally, I am trying to decide between a "pseudo moto" (eg Duke, MZ Black Panther) or a "real" SM for my next sportbike. I almost bought a Husky SM a year or so ago, but I hesitated too long and it was gone.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.