Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm...you actualy put a friend on that balogna slice you refer to as "passenger accomodations?" Why do they even bother? Anybody who can afford such a bike can afford to buy something else equally cool to ride 2-up when the situation presents itself.

Anyway...I dig the bike in general, but the golf frame and swingarm are a bit much...woulda been cooler w/ the flat black treatment.

Dave

96 Triumph Daytona 1200

84 V65 Sabre...I'm poor but my passengers' butts aren't sore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All I have to say is go to aprillia's website and gander at the standard red and gold non R model. Now all I am trying to do is figure out how I justify owning a motorcycle that's more expensive than my truck and that I can only use, if I'm lucky, about six monthes out of the year. Also since a Tuono in my garage would be the only bike in my garage how are those long 2-300 mile rides on this bike? The fairing looks substantial but since I use my bike for everything including long drones on country roads searching for anything remotely resembling a corner out here in the Great Plains.

Burgbilly

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Just look at that dyno chart for the Ducati S4. Can you imagine? Only 70HP! Wasn't someone saying earlier that it was insane to sell a bike for $10,000 with only 70HP? Oops, the Monster costs $12K.

Oh wait.... that only applies to Buells.

Fortunately the Tuono meets the HP requirement to maintain your mental health. And looks great too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Viva Ducati

Add Termignioni pipes and a chip and the Ducati MS4 makes 110HP. Exchange the 37 tooth rear sprocket for a 39 and you got yourself one hell of a ride. Trust me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looking at the graph, the Duc makes 100 hp, so the world is safe.

Can't wait for impressions on the new SV1000. I note it has the 52mm throttle bodies of the TL and not the 46's of the DL, but uses the smaller 36mm DL valves.

Such a setup should result in awesome low end torque and some serious power at 7,000 rpm with perhaps a little off the top compared to the TL. Works for me. Time will tell.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
seruzawa, you looked at the wrong chart, you idiot! Must've been a tough Friday night......

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Alright whats next? An Aprilia thug coming over to the house and strong arming me out of my money? Aprilia is starting to go way beyond temptation with their offerings.

At east when I dropped off my K12RS for its 18k service this morning the Kawi ZZR with Givi's on it looked hidious. So no temptation to be had from my local BMW/Kawi dealer. Thank God there is no local Aprilia dealer or I probably would be sleeping in the garage. Then again if I had a new Aprilia I probably would like sleeping in the garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the Vin Diesel movie XXX the big tall bad guy was riding something that looked like a Tuono.... most of the scenes with it were short and dark so it was hard to tell. Does anyone know for sure??

Add it to my wish list next to the Falco and Futura in my fantasy garage..... don't know if I could actually trade in the yellow '02 SV though.... I love it too much.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Aprilia does more with less, H-D Buell could learn from this

Considering the wealth and resources of H-D Buell the folks at Aprilia should be complimented on their ability to create bike after bike that is more modern and offers better performance (regular Tuono will sell for $11,999) than any thing Buell makes. It makes you wonder if the H-D folks every get out of the country. A trip to Italy or a European motorcycle show could do wonders for the idea factory at H-D Buell. Hopefully, Colin Edwards can win a few MotoGP races to help Aprilia's marketing in the U.S. Competition is good thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I feel that my heartbeat is rising again.

When I first heard about the Tuono, I rushed to The Euro Shop in Waco eager to put down my deposit. $17,000 didn't seem unreasonable. After all, my emotions were making this decision.

I opted against it for a number of reasons. First, $17,000 really is a bucket load of cash. Second, Milles are expensive to insure here in Texas. Since the Tuono hadn't been rated, I feared the worst. Third, I would have to wait until November to get my paws on one. November's here and I don't have a Tuono. Sniffle.

After all of the Tuono's were spoken for, I regretted my decision not to put down a deposit. Then comes word that a Tuono for the masses is on it's way.

Maybe I will just pimp out my Falco with the Streetfighter kit and a Mille Swingarm.

Either way, my wife is going to KILL me!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yo John, how about taking my '97 TLS out for a spin? I would be curious how a converted TL (superbike bars) with a Penske shock might stack up to the newer machines. My forks still bite but the bike is a hoot and bargain w/o all the busy (over)styling of the Tuono and "me too" styling of the new SV1000. Just a thought.... (I keep asking Jason to ask but he's too busy thinking about wheelie school to bother).

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Aprilia does more with less, H-D Buell could learn from this

For a real embarrasing[?] question, ask why Aprilia can go from scooters to a compettative WSB team in 2 years, while HD spent a dozen yrs stepping on their ****s in AMA superbike, Surely with HD's resourses, and Erik Beull's design skill they could have been at least a top 5 player, HD and it's current clientel might not be sportbike oriented, but Harley has a well recognized history of success in racing that's worth bragging rights, if nothing else. The Aprilia looks like a real jewel, however thats a hell of a dip in HP @ 5200 rpm, Is the chip and pipe not dialed in yet or what? It doesn't seem to effect performance at all but I'd expect to see a more linear rise in an enhanced powerband. Still 117hp and 78ft/lb of torque in comfy Italian style is enough to put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Oh one thing does disturb me about this "Naked" bike, I cant see any of the engine... Zip, zero, nada, ok a sidecase cover but thats it. Not so naked after all...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Have you been to www.ducati.com lately? Its too funny, they have an article trying to convince you that you "Must see the 999 live." Apparently they have heard the gag reflex most have come to when seeing it online or in a mag. All I gotta say is this thing better really sell as I can hear the axe grinding right now and the chopping block being hauled out.

I also took a look a the Multistrada for a 10th opinion, damn that thing just gets uglier. I really want to like it as it looks to be an absolute blast to ride, but I have the urge to jab my eyes out with a pointed stick every time I gaze upon it. I can just picture looking over at a store front window to see my reflection and having the window shatter in horror. Granted I could do that just by walking by but hey, I wear a full face helmet.

Below is their question and the link.

Seeing It Live

Do you like the 999? We believe you need to see it live!

http://ducatiworld.ducati.com/desmotimes/doc938.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cap,

I think it an age/ generation thing. Many of these bikes look (to me) like a brilliant designer did 90% of the bike but quit before the styling was done. Then the somebody's nephew was hired to finish the bike. OTOH, a lot of people seem to like Aprilia's styling, look at the other comments on this article. This may explain why they make lots of bikes, people have different tastes and needs.

FWIW, it looks like Aprilia is going to style the Moto Guzzis for more conservative tastes. If you go to the Guzzi page (http://www.motoguzzi.it/noaudio/main.htm) and select the "Moto Guzzi" button and then select "Labrotorio Di Stile" (my Italian friend says this means laboratory of style, more or less) check out the "Griso", it looks like a naked bike more to my tastes. Once they get the new, water cooled engine it should be close to the Aprilia's power in a package that suits my tastes (and maybe yours) a bit better.

Cheers,

SlowBear

·
Registered
13 Posts
I imagine that owning a euro bike has it's draw backs ( availibility of parts, service costs..) so the new SV1000 looks pretty good.

With the extra $5k, you could trick out an SV and be sitting pretty good. Still, it would be nice to own something as exotic and sexy as the Tuono just once........

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.