Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kudos! That's what we need: informed opinions plus the information and experience that lead to them!

More expansive direct quotes from your racers would be a plus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is what I am looking for in an article comparing similar motorcycles. Good insights, stats, some opinion. Much better than Burns first article on the twins. He was tired and it showed. This one brings redemption. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome article! I really enjoy how you guys time laps of riders of different abilities - it reflects well on the riding population at large and I think is a very fair idea of how "rideable" a bike is.

I'm curious, how would identically prepared (same tires) open-class bikes perform on both tracks? I'm really curious to see how much faster or slower the best street twins are from the best open-class bikes (and 600s for that matter). How about it MO?

·
Registered
295 Posts
That was a good review of some of the nicest machines around. But I would also like to see a review of the next step down, the Ducati 900SS versus the Honda VTR, the XB9R, the Aprilia Falco, and whatever other twin of about the same displacement.

Vlad

·
Registered
242 Posts
"But I would also like to see a review of the next step down, the Ducati 900SS versus the Honda VTR, the XB9R, the Aprilia Falco, and whatever other twin of about the same displacement."

YES!! I agree completely. That would be a great comaparo!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm with Vlad, and if the XB9R isn't put up against the 900SS I'll have to write something that will end up being a bunch of asterisks once posted. And if you guys give the excuse of "we couldn't get one in time" I'm calling shenanigans.

And that article was awesome, the content of these articles has improved 10 fold lately and it's apparent to me you guys are much more financially savvy. Going to track days instead of renting the entire track, going to grudge night at the local drag strip (I've got to find that equivilent around here and stomp some pimped-out civics) and other such things are all proof that our subscription fee is being properly spent. Keep it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Two requests:

I'll second that request. Since many of us don't have the cash to throw down on one of these beauties, you guys can at least let us share the thrills through pic and videos!

Excellent review. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry. I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but ...

I am seriously debating between the RC-51 and a standard Mille for a next bike, so that is what I was hopeing to see compared here (apples-to-apples). I can't afford an RC-51 plus Ohlins forks and shock plus Oz wheels, which adds up to more than the standard Mille. What the dealers typically permit for test drives (time/distance) just doesn't hack it.

Oh well; maybe your suggestion of RC-51 plus rear shock is the way to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
random stuff

Nice review -- especially the street stuff.

I agree on the request to test a second tier, but I disagree on the makeup. Get a collection of bikes whose clear purpose is the street/canyon strafing. I maybe crazy, but my current list of bikes I would consider to replace my current ride are the XB9R, the FZ-1, the Falco, maybe a super chicken, maybe a Bandit 1200S and a R1150R (not an S -- too expensive). Maybe even a 900ss. Some of these are definitely more all around than others, but they are clearly differentiated from the race rep crowd, something that doesn't interest me. Review them based on handling prowess on your favorite roads, rideability when you have to hit the superslab, or get stuck in traffic, and how well they take soft luggage. I recently test road the XB9r and came away quite impressed, but I have doubts on how it would handle my demands for an all around ride. Are the others better?

Unrelated question. So... what happened to the fearless founder, i.e. why no Blip on the radar screen? (sorry about that -- I couldn't help myself)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excellent article. I wish I could be as enthusiastic about my job.

It is obvious you guys had a great time on these bikes and you approve of all of them. However, what do you guys choose to ride when you don't have these superbikes around? What are in your garages at home?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.