Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got an RT based on the reviews from this sight. I pick the bike up from the dealer tomorrow. I have never owned or ridden a non sport bike, so my first ride should be interesting. I have already mapped out a 200+ mile ride as soon as I leave the dealer. If anyone is interested in my naive, sport-touring virgin perspective I will give it.

Previous bikes:

1997 Yamaha YZF-600

1999 Yamaha R1

2003 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Total mileage ridden: about 20K mostly in New Jersey

Currently located in AZ

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Your right hand will be in for a shock but your backside, wrists and shoulders wont be. Suddonly state lines seem so much closer. If you start out with a 200 mile ride you may end up having to schedule your 500 mile on Saturday. Many of us BMW owners end up breaking them in on the first ride.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If you already have a tourer and plan to keep it why not go for something different? An adventure bike, sport standard, Motard, you name it. Mix up the stable a little. Take the GS out for a spin, or a Buell, Ducati monster etc... Having an RT and a wing is like having two gallons of Ice Cream in the freezer, one Vanilla and one French Vanilla.

I have a K12RS for my tourer and am looking for an Adventure bike now. Having ridden the KTM 950, Buell Ulysses, and the GS, I think I'm back to the KTM. Though my wallpaper on the PC is the Ducati Hypermoto. Then there is that pesky ktm 950 supermoto... [email protected] it, I need to win the lotto and buy them all. Till then I may have to put all the names in a hat and pull one out. Too many cool bikes out and coming out lately.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If the "wet pharte" sound really grates on ya, you will quickly find that you can get a slip on that will open up the sound a bit, is built in Germany ($$$) and won't void the warranty...

and join BMW MOA - fast. the newletter, BMWON alone is worth the price.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I heard that the hypermoto is going to cost around 18k!While ducati is doing great in america,they have posted losses of around 223 million bucks around the world and closed two dealerships in london.They are thinking about floating the company.Shame.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Test the K bike...

One more thing: Test the K1200S before you decide you want a ST bike. You give up a little comfort (but hey, thats what your Wing is for) and gain a huge boatload of handling and obscene-overpoweredness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Power Brakes

I totally agree! ABS is a good thing, but making a boosted system that is useless when the bike isn't running, and that provides difficult-to-modulate, toggle-switch braking power, seems like the last thing that anyone would want on a bike.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I was in BMW MOA for years, it's about the best rider oriented association I've seen. Having the address book in the saddle bags made touring a pretty much worry free experiance. I haven't heard an oil head with a Luftmiester exhaust but they wake up a few ponies on the rest of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Test the K bike...

I did just that yesterday! I made the mistake of getting on a K12S and got hooked, bigtime! So, now all I have to do is put myself in debt for a couple of years, but, hey! This America, right? What kind of country would it be without debt?

Seriously, I was totally blown away by the K12S, and like my wife says; "Buy it while you're still here in this world, and quit moaning about money, because we have enough!"

Sooooo! I'm going in tomorrow to get the black and yellow one I saw on the showroom floor.

Besides, I was thinking the same as everybody who responded to my first post. Why get another tour bike? I've already got a very good one. Now, I want to fly! Easy at first, of course. Like a riding buddy of mine always says; "Always remember, that a trip to the body shop usually means a trip to the hospital."

Thanks for the advise guys, and everybody out there ride safe!

Cheapcharlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're right on the mark with the ice cream comment. So, with that in mind, I kept one gallon of vanilla and bought a gallon of very powerful, exquisitely performing, delicious looking, granite grey and yellow, BMW K1200S ice cream. My, oh my! What a difference in flavors! I'm happy!!!!!!!

By the way, I too must win the lotto.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheap charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Power Brakes

Just before I bought my K1200S, I was thinking the same thing. Like what the heck happens when, for some unknown reason, you loose all your "electricals"? So I asked for an owners manual to see what it had to say. If you loose the boosted system, it simply means you gotta squeeze harder on the front brake lever, and push harder on the rear brake peddle. (And Sooner.) You won't have a boosted system, ABS, or any of the rest of the goodies that come with this package. You will only have hand and foot power. (Like back in "da day.")

If you loose the system for any other reason, you get a warning telling you so. That way you can start braking sooner. The main thing is, YOU HAVE BRAKES, and that, of course, is a good thing.

Basically, what BMW is giving you is power brakes with all the goodies. It's safe.

Cheap Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.