Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reminds me of the secondary gear plug issue of the Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcades - the plug in the center of the driven gear (that spins the driveshaft) would fall out causing loss of lubricant & subsequent bearing failure. However, those generally took years to manifest (it took time for the plug to fall out), whereas the Rocket issue was noticed early on

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
It's a credit to Triumph, who like Buell recalled all models for repair instead of denying a problem exhists or blaming the owners for "mis-using" the bikes.

Replacing a final drive unit over a leaking seal is a sign of a company who takes care of it's customers and stands behind it's products 100%

It's a pity BMW couldn't do the same with it's final drive failures and ridability issues, or Honda with the G/W frame breakage and faulty charging systems on G/W's and VFR's or Suzuki with it's Bandit oil consumption issues and stator failures on the GS1100's or Harley with the TC88 cam bearing failures.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but you get the point. Any Machine can have manufacturing defects or supplier issues, it's how they deal with the problems that makes a differance. I'll spend my money on a company that stands behind their products over one that burys it's corporate head in the sand, denies theirs a problem, then blames me because I don't know how to ride the f*****g thing.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Apparently there's a chronic engine-knock problem in the Suzuki SV1000 that Suzuki is stonewalling on, also.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Since I had the pleasure of riding a Rocket III and I would say it's as far from a "turd" as a bike can get. The power is simply amazing and it handles and rides like it weighs 200 lbs. less than it actually does. I didn't think the styling was all that bad either. Tell us about your riding experience on it. Let me offer a guess first. You never rode one.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
He wasn't just judging the asthetics. Calling a bike a "turd" and predicting more recalls, without as much as laying eyes on a live one is stupid. Maybe he's a psychic. Are you going to predict more recalls too from looking at the styling?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Predicting recalls for Triumphs is probably as dumb a move as possible. From what I've been able to glean it appears that recent Triumphs have better reliability histories than almost any manufacturer. No one is doing any better.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Other than the fuel fitting(s) letting go on my 03 ST (My fault for procrastinating the performance of the Facotry Recall), my bike, my previous bike (Y2K ST), my buddies Y2K SIII and the Army squid's '01 Daytona have all been as reliable as a hammer.

I tell everyone that I would buy another Triumph in a heartbeat.

Now, if I can just figure out how to afford that new ST...

·
Registered
49 Posts
totally agree, Ive done 85,000 km on my 01 ST, repaced the original chain and sprockets at the 80,000 km service. The only problem Ive had with it was a broken wire in clutch harness and a small problem in the locking mechanism.

Prior to this bike i had

a) a r1100rt from new - at 12,000 km one of the pistons seized while overtaking at 90mph

b) ducati st2 - electrical problems for the time I had it... the final straw was when a piece of the engine block came off !!

When I finally upgrade to a newer bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts