Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Sport touring tires from Michilin, Avon or Pirelli are all about the same in terms of milage, traction and quality. I'd shop around and see who'll give you the best deal on them and go from there.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I can attest to good performance out of the Michelin Actives. The BT 45's are supposed to be dual compound but I haven't run any. As said before the best deal in this case will probably be based on price.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Kenda Kenda Kenda. Inexpensive, and last forever. They even have some Dunlop and Pirelli copies. Those dang Koreans...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Kenda Kenda Kenda. Inexpensive, and last forever. They even have some Dunlop and Pirelli copies. Those dang Koreans...
If you just want dirt cheap Cheng Shins are pretty good, I used them before and they definatly get the miles out of them. I wouldn't recommend them in a wet climate because they're made of the hardest rubber compound on earth but they do last a long time.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"If you just want dirt cheap Cheng Shins are pretty good, I used them before and they definatly get the miles out of them. I wouldn't recommend them in a wet climate because they're made of the hardest rubber compound on earth but they do last a long time."

Cheng Shins? They still import those? I haven't see a Cheng Shin in years around these parts. And you're wrong about the tire with the hardest compound, that award goes to the Nitto 400x18 Knobby that was on the back of my AT1MX for 10 or 15 years. Finally had to use a hacksaw to remove it. Petrifide it was.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Two tires I can recommend though, are:

#1 The Shinko Podium - put 'em on The Wife's EX500. Good wear, really good traction, fair wet-weather performance. I think I got 'em from Motorcycle Tires - Brands .

#2 Is the Tomahawk T3 Sports (yes, "retread tires") - I run them on my FZ6 as commuter tires CycleTires.com, Tomahawk Super Tires, Aircraft Tire Technology for your bike ...Utilizing the latest model carcasses from major manufacturers... Tomahawk takes motorcycle tires to another level of performance and good looks! . Great wear, excellent traction, good wet-weather performance. Rain and oily-pavement make them feel a bit unstable, though. But not as bad as the Avons I used to run.

HALF or less of the cost of comparable "namebrand" tires - while utilizing the carcass-construction benefits of the "competition". (they use virtually all brands of carcass for their tires, but I don't believe you can "pick and choose" without calling and asking for a particular carcass)

The only drawback is, Tomahawk don't carry them in the sizes you're looking-for.

I've had four sets of them now, only one problem EVER - and they just asked for the serial # of the tire, and sent me another, no charge.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks to all who responded so far. The bike has BT45s on them, I believe, and they've lasted about 8,000 miles. It would be nice to get a little more miles out of them - but something that lasts 25,000 miles might be too scary to ride.
Acting reasonably sane- you should expect 12k max out of most of today's "tour" tires. That said: For a decade I have used (with good results) different versions of Metzler's Lazer series. The ME series on my BMW got in the neighborhood of 11k miles on pretty curvy terrain. The prices are a tad higher but the tire is great for distance, stick and rain. Good luck.
Kirk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.