Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You could do worse than the FJ1300. It's got speed and passenger room. Just stay away from the ST1300 from a former owner of the heat throwing model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Funny,I rode a Guzzi Ca.Alum. last fall and thought it was a good ride.I also rode a Rosa Corsa and was not in love with it.

The California was an excellent handling bike.

I`d buy one if I had a dire need for an additional Italian fix.

If you really neen a bike for your lady friend to go w/you.I would seriously look no further than a Dyna Super Glide SPORT.

Best of all worlds.Plus,they do not loose value as the other contenders.I bought one for 13,500 rode it for a year and traded it in for 12,500.Try yhat on a Honda or Yamaharley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They are kind of pricey, but there are many choices in the BMW world that are kinda sporty, but passenger friendly. R1200ST, R1200RT, the new K1200GT (152hp) I think all can be had with a top box with a backrest to make them even more comfortable. Also Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, and of course the ultimate comfort the 1800 Goldwing. All would be much more performance oriented than a cruiser, especially considering where you are coming from. First Post?

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about the new FZ1? That passenger seat looks comfy and is along the same lines as your other bikes. The FJR1300 is also a good choice and that thing hauls. It is a little heavy but I was shocked at how well it handles for its size and that engine is phenomenal. When I am 20 years older I will buy something like that.

My friend just got the BMW GS1200 and his wife loves riding on the back of that, as did mine. Feels like your riding a tractor compared to the FJR though. I have not ridden the R1200RT but everyone seems to love it and it reportedly handles like a dream. Then there is the gold wing, which is huge but also handles very well and is the king of comfort for passengers, if you can stand to be seen on one. The engine is super cool in the wing too, but I would almost rather drive a cage if I have to ride something that big.

How about taking her with you and have her pick out what she thinks feels the best from a pillion standpoint? My wife likes to have input into what I get. Interestingly she really prefers the feel of the inline four to the twin after some time on the pillion, and I prefer the feel of the twin on long trips.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Another passanger bike would be ANY giant trailie. A GS Bimmer or a VStrom are pretty damn good for passangers: much better than anything short of a dedicated tourer/ST bike.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Given the naked nature of your past choices, how about a nice fully loaded Buell Ulysses?

Not a ton of wind protection but great comfort, handling and it may fit into the "different" style you seem to like.

Best of luck, ride well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't own one, but my wife and I took a Triumph Bonneville America for a spin around the block. She thought it was VERY comfortable. Lots of room and fairly zippy for a cruiser. She also finds my V-Strom 650 really comfy as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like one of the other posters said, take her with and test sit lots of bikes. Many of the current cruisers and sport tourers have cramped pillion accomadations. I went thru this a few years ago and ended up with a v-strom 1000, which also has longer travel plusher suspension travel that takes a lot of the sting out of the ride for the pillion. That said if and when I can afford to have a second bike for two up It'll be a gl1800, this coming after a 50 mile test ride.If your like me and have publicly stated that you would never own a goldwing, do yourself a favor and never ride one.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Guzzi Griso, Yam RS Warrior, Kaw Meanstreak, HD V-rod, BMW R1200ST, Ducati 1000ss, Guzzi Breva 1100, Suzuki M109. All different, all comfortable (with seat changes on a couple), all easy to insure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for a cruiser that is a little bit different, I recommend you check out the Triumph line. From the America, to the Speedmaster and the ultimate Rocket III, I think you'll like what you see! The Rocket III is great for passenger comfort.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Actually, I argee. Triumph is a personal favorite of mine but the masses don't usually flock to them. I just figured that since the man already owned a Speed III then maybe he needed a change up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I like your suggestion of the new Moto Guzzi Griso 1100 and Breva 1100, especially for their uniqueness. He better hurry though 'cause they seem to be rolling off the showroom floors and onto the streets in short order.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you might look to triumph for a sprint st, same great engine as your s3 but with a real seat and hard bags. the underseat exhaust could be good or bad for your pillon depending on how warm it is where you live.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Guzzi is a great bike and avoids the Harley clone syndrome. They certainly handle better than the vast majority of machines in their semi-cruiser class. My wife loved the back seat on my VFR, but she also likes the seat on my Buell XB12Ss, so she may be the highly tolerant type. You may want to take a look at the Ducati ST3. It's a very polished sport tourer and the handling . . . well, it's a Duck.

Francis

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.