Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Used to be unreliable bikes. I hear that the importer make mods to the motor when they hit the US, true? I have always thought they looked good but would much prefer larger displacement for highway travel. Also, is there a big enough dealer network to maintain the bikes properly? Never owned a Hack bike but I've been riding street bikes for 23yrs. I would love to have a bike my little girl could feel comfortable in(on).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A friend of mine and his buddy took their dual purpose bikes up one of the old stagecoach roads here in NorCal, that hadn't seen much maintenance since Black Bart was operating in the area. They finally got to the top, and were checking out the spectacular view of the Napa Valley and beyond, when they heard this twin cylinder chuffing, coming up behind them. They hung around till he showed up; some guy on an old BMW. With a sidecar. And his dog.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ther are few bikes that put a smile on your face like a URAL. With the changes in the bike over the past few years, I hear that they have become more reliable, and the Brembo front disc is a welcome change. Can't afford two bikes right now, but the URAL will get added to the stable first chance I get.

Vlad/Francis

·
Registered
52 Posts
As a senior rider myself I congratulate you on finding a suitable solution. At 67, I am still on 2 wheels, a Harley, but will never return to the "tall bikes" of my past. Once on a road trip, I pulled over in a filling station where several other motos were parked, near Steamboat Springs in Colorado, as I recall. One elderly gentleman on a Wing had managed to get it on the center stand. When it came time to go, he got the engine running, mounted the bike, and then called on us to push him off the center stand. Away he went, big grin and all. I have looked at Ural hacks with some interest myself. Most of my riding is, with malace aforethought, not on the superslabs, so the limited top end is not a bother. Good luck and keep the shiney side up. Urals do have a shiney side, don't they?

·
Registered
3 Posts
And the current VP for Marketing, Sales and Dealer Relations who is making the Bike Show rounds for Ural is pretty good looking also. Met her at the Fort Worth show. Thought I'd just toss that in...

·
Registered
158 Posts
It was great hearinig your story `bout switching to a hack.At 60 and having 40 wonderful riding years,I think about the change to a sidecar also.Still ride an ST2 Duck

and a Harley FXDX Sport.

Billy O

·
Registered
156 Posts
How many MOReaders have tried a side car? It is indeed interesting, since the handling in no way resembles a single track nor a car. Took some getting used to, but I adapted. However, I went back to 2 wheelers about 30 years ago. Maybe I'll switch again, say when I turn 70(?) or 75(?).

Ability to carry substantial loads if need be is one real advantage, also the entire family (wife and 2 children in my case) can come along. The Elephant Ride is coming up soon here in Colorado; for that one, a 2 wheel drive Ural is the vehicle of choice, and none of my stable of 2 wheelers would really do the job. Maybe I should re-examine my riding priorities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.