Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
if you're learning again, may i suggest a suzuki bandit, but the 600s version.

600s' can be had for a very reasonable price, and they won't rip your arms off if you acidentally open up the throttle. on the other hand, they have more power than a learner needs, and are definitely fast enough to pass sport cars. the riding position is very comfortable, they get around 40+ mpg, the engine is simple and very reliable, there are tons of after market parts for them. all that and a half fairing for highway touring.

i mention the 600s bandit because it would be a decent bike for a biker re-entering the sport after so long away....that is, you are likely to drop it once or twice on your journey towards reacclimating yourself to the world of riding, and you might want to have a learner to get you through the dangerous "drop, curse, scoop up your pride and drive on" phase.

i am biased because that is what i did with my suzuki bandit 600s. i learned on (and dropped) the bandit so that, with a new bmw 1200 or buell ulysses, i didn't have to.

if you read the frugal fliers article here at MO.com, it will help you to compare the bandit 600s to your old nighthawk.

good luck in the search :)

· Registered
207 Posts
i see your point, BAR; and i am for tiered licensing. but i suppose we are all assuming his current skill level to fit our opinions. me included.

this guy might have had 15 years riding experience before he took his 15 year break. he has a license. if the OP has minimal riding experience, then i would definitely recommend something more like a gs500f or yamaha virago 250.

can the original poster give us a little more info about his riding history and skill level?

cheers :)

· Registered
207 Posts
if it helps any, i think that's just a goat, not a donkey with a dunce hat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.