Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hog has pretty straight forward maintenance, all you need for a tool kit is a cell phone and a master card.

What happened to the days of a hammer and a screwdriver?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My Magna comes with an even simpler tool kit...nothing. Doesn't need a thing. Although I'm looking at a Buell S3T, so I may need to upgrade my tools.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've been saying this all along

Beemers have it right and so does Harley. You don't even have to adjust valves on Harleys and Buells, except for the V-Rod. Now with fuel injection you don't even have to sync carbs anymore. I understand that Ducatis have desmotronic valve trains that are pretty difficult to adjust (just what I've read). If you ask me, the less you have to maintain the better off you are. Ok, a crotch rocket is way faster but you know what? Who cares. When you factor in all the speeding tickets and higher insurance premiums and the high cost of replacing plastic body panels and skin grafts, and relearning the alphabet, you are way ahead on a Harley, or Beemer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just hope you don't have to change the clutch on the BMW. I take a little more time to adjust the values and less cost on replacing the BMW clutch. Had two of them go out at

50,000 miles and one on the ol ladies K at

35,000, each one cost between $700- and $900. It's the labor 8 hours to pull the tranny and every thing else that needs to come off the bike.

Like the simpler, pull the side cover and slide the new plates in the basket.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Even more simplicity can be had if you nail a couple of old roller skates to a board and nail a stick on the side for a brake.

Just be sure that your ride to work is downhill both ways.

Or you could just get a Harley

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do not understand why you have to rag on Harley riders ALL the time.

It is possible that in KPaul's World all Harley riders are as ignorant as you portray yourself to be with your constant generalizations out of nowhere. In the real world that is just not true (not for all at least). The truth is that some people like bikes that you don't for reasons different than yours. How's that?

Stop being a prick.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: I've been saying this all along

Agreed. Not all bikers (read: motorcycle riders) desire to blister along the roads at insane speeds, be able to flick in and out of traffic and stop with my rear wheel in the air.

If that's what you enjoy, so be it.

Maybe 10-20 years ago I would have also, but just 'cruising' following with the traffic & enjoying the scenery is fine by me. I like to be able to hear my stereo and enjoy it.

brian

·
Registered
911 Posts

When was the last time you had to sync the carb on your Hog? How are your hemorroids?

By the way how are your riding skills, still slaming the rear brake? I knew that!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Now add shaft drive. A very overlooked bike is the Suzuki Intruder 1400. I don't have one but... Here you have a proven motor, no valve adjustments, no chain, no belt, no oil leaks. And for Harley chump change you can uncork it and the bike will fly. The bike has 2 probs., 3.4 gallon tank and an ugly seat. For about 2 grand you can transform this bike into a winner. P/U a 2 yr. old one do the mods and you have a proven winner with about the smallerst maint. of any bike and it performs. I needed a little more power so the max for me.

Still admire the VS1400.

·
Registered
273 Posts

What about handling? I agree that the street is not the place to test the race track ability of a bike, but I'll be damned if I ever saw a Harley and thought to myself "wow, I bet that bike can take a corner". In fact, I bet a Toyota Camry can outcorner nearly any Harley.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does Moto Guzzi count for simplicity?

I didn't think that tele-parlever suspended shaft drive hydraulic assisted linked anti-lock braking systems on motorcycles were simple. I wonder why they come with the 3 year road side assistance warranty?

How often do you need to do a valve job in the African desert? Just curious...

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Snow Hog

Rest assured that HelterSkelter (how appropriate) claims he rides his bikes 20,000 miles a year. Living in Milwaukee he has mastered the technque of Snow Hogging. Using special spiked tires from the Screaming Polar Bear H-D line, HeleterSkelter can ride anytime and anywhere. Special heated arm and leg chaps complete the ensemble.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.