Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Local Racer making a small fortune.

The difference is... 200,000 people didn't watch that privateer finish 14th. No one buys that privateer's stuff.

And... it doesn't cost that privateer $500,000 to build his bike.

But hey... NASCAR's just for ********... keep ignoring it.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts

Nice to see a privateer getting at least SOME ink in a newspaper. They don't even publish race results around here.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

I'm friends with the editor of the San Diego Union sports page. I frequently applaud him for his racing coverage. They usually have one feature article a week plus racing results.

·
Registered
312 Posts
paying to have fun

I can't speak for the AMA guys, but as a privateer myself i guess, it's worth every penny. While i have to write all the checks and produce and justify a budget for she who must be obeyed to approve that would shame the pentagon i prefer to ride around on my own. no sponsors to please, no contingency money screwing with my long term disability plan, only rfights with the no babies to kiss. it is ridiculously expensive and i won't do it for very much longer, but there is no feeling like it.

It seems unlikely that motorcycle racing will ever have the money. Maybe too few people understand the skill. i admit i don't get nascar, but judging from the brightly colored clothing and beer commercials, it appears it may not be about the racing. i'm sure i am missing something.

I do feel for the privateers racing nationally. to the person they are damn good riders. they compete on bikes that are much less competitive and then get humiliated on national tv for being a backmarker. still its all i can do to keep from getting lapped by any oone of them in a sprint race.

It's a grand tradition, a man or woman with a van and a plan.

Maybe we should start an adopt a racer program at motorcycle.com everybody give a few bucks and have somebody do a race report.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: paying to have fun

It's the sport of kings. One could squander many fortunes racing anything with a motor.

My Dad went broke racing Can-Am in the 70's, then went broke again racing Formula 5000, broke once more racing 914 6's...etc.etc.

Hell, I'm broke most of the time, and that's just the vintage class! I can't imagine your budget.

More power to you.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I've watched a few minutes of NASCAR this year and it is kind of entertaining. First off the cars are big and driving real close together. Then, every few laps someone runs into the back of someone else and all hell breaks loose! Plus car accidents eject a lot more debris, fire and smoke than a motorcycle in a crash. To me it seems like there is a little racing among the top 2 or 3 cars and the rest of the field is a demolition derby. I think a more appropriate name would be Smashcar.

Motorcycle racing is hard to figure out unless you ride a bike. I still can't fathom how they can slide on pavement under control, but the top racers all have to do it. They talk about spinning up the rear exiting a corner, but that is virtually impossible to see on TV. You have to learn how to ride a motorcycle and then enter your first turn too hot to really understand what it's all about. But, there are few of us who ride motorcycles and fewer still who pay any attention to racing.

·
Registered
265 Posts

My heart goes out to him; I might cry. In the early fifties, if you won a hare and hound, you got a trophy. Same goes for winning Catalina or scrambles (the precursor to motocross). The best racers of the day, like Brad Andres for example, rode these races for $0, but did it for fun. Winning the Expert main at Carrell speedway half-mile paid about $300. I think I won $12.50 one year, but enjoyed every minute of it.

·
Registered
265 Posts

One more thing - I have a picture of me at Catalina in 1952 sitting on my Harley Hummer (125cc). Next to me is Brad Andres, sitting on HIS Hummer. I blew up and didn't finish. I don't know how Brad did.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: paying to have fun

Bill Cuddy, ran an M8F in '70 & 71. Went broke soon after. Lots of DNFs

·
Registered
466 Posts
just a few thoughts

Is fx the pinnacle of motorcycle racing? No

Pro surfers don't get paid that well either.

Don't like the pay? Go and do something else.

This guy's last name isn't petty.

Boo hoo, you have to pay for your hobby just like most other people

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice article Buz thanks for sharing. If I was younger and single I would give it ago. I am sure I would go broke and would finish last but what an exprience. Too bad I started riding at an advanced age....I tried to start early but got grounded for life for riding my buddy's little dirt bike around the back 40... Damn parents ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.