Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't today supposed to be ride to work day? if it is I'm following tradition and driving in...

I usually Ride in but for some reason I always wind up driving on RTW day, this year is no different. It was pouring down rain this morning having went from high 80's and 90's and sunny last week to upper 60's and rain this week.......Gotta' love Washington weather....

My Official Sarnali2 Rain Policy for Commuting is basically if it's raining when I leave then I drive unless it's supposed to be dry later on, then I'll ride in. If it's like 80 or 90 % chance of rain like it is all winter I drive. If it's not raining when I leave then I ride, even if it's supposed to rain later because it might stay dry all day and just look like going to be Noahs own flood at any minute.

While some may think I'm going soft in my old age it's a simple mathmatical equasion.

1. Commuting in horrendously crappy traffic.

2. Commuting in the dark while everyone's half asleep.

3. Commuting when it's raining.

I can handle any two of those risk factors in any combination, however add all three together and it's just not worth the risk for me anymore just for the pleasure of driving to work, plus I hate to leave my bike sitting out in the rain all day. That's for cars.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, I rode the wing today. Mainly because I overslept and missed the carpool. At least I almost never have to worry about rain. And if it does rain this time of year you dry out about 5 minutes after it's over.

But never mind that. Motorcycle riding in Utah really sucks. Don't come here. Washington is good. Or Maine. Yeah, Maine is good. Move there. Or Tierra del Fuego.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Locusts too Doesn't Utah have swarms of locusts? why I hear they'll eat the durn clothes off yer back !!!!!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Yer danged rat we got locusts. Other people call 'em ex-Kalifornians. But they chew up everything that's good all the same.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I managed to ride today. No rain, but the High Pressure that's keeping the rain off is also making it Ethiopia Hot!

On the ride back in after lunch, I saw a dog chasing a cat, and they were both WALKIN'! Pah-dump-bump!

The traffic lights are brutal. And Red. They all seem to be Red today. And for a very long time...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey we got them kalifornicators too !!!!! Looks like they're spreading !!!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Ride?

Czech.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I rode, it was raining when I left too, but stopped after about 5 miles. Surprisingly enough when I was on the bike I could feel my hand, but couldn't when I got off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
yeah i rode to work today...and yesterday....and probly tomorrow. friday i think I need the truck(gotta do some chores). personally i think Ride to Work day has been kinda a bust. Nobody seems to know or care. There were more bikes in the parking lot yesterday than today.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i took the car today.. then again i had three passengers with me and it was threatening to rain when i left the house.. hill's, bumper to bumper traffic and rain are a little more than i want to subject myself to after only 1 day on the bike.. gonna go out for a ride when i get home this afternoon though.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Isn't today supposed to be ride to work day? if it is I'm following tradition and driving in...

I usually Ride in but for some reason I always wind up driving on RTW day, this year is no different. It was pouring down rain this morning having went from high 80's and 90's and sunny last week to upper 60's and rain this week.......Gotta' love Washington weather....

My Official Sarnali2 Rain Policy for Commuting is basically if it's raining when I leave then I drive unless it's supposed to be dry later on, then I'll ride in. If it's like 80 or 90 % chance of rain like it is all winter I drive. If it's not raining when I leave then I ride, even if it's supposed to rain later because it might stay dry all day and just look like going to be Noahs own flood at any minute.

While some may think I'm going soft in my old age it's a simple mathmatical equasion.

1. Commuting in horrendously crappy traffic.

2. Commuting in the dark while everyone's half asleep.

3. Commuting when it's raining.

I can handle any two of those risk factors in any combination, however add all three together and it's just not worth the risk for me anymore just for the pleasure of driving to work, plus I hate to leave my bike sitting out in the rain all day. That's for cars.
I treat 'Ride to Work Day' like I treated New Years Eve when I was a drinker. I took that day off because all the yahoos are out that day. I'll ride in tomorrow. :-D

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I rode in. There wasn't one more bike on the commute than I see any other day, which means I didn't see any.

Summertime in South Florida is a crappy time to ride. It's bloody damn hot, and it rains off and on throughout the day. The afternoon invariably has rain, but if I look around I can usually spot the thunderstorm and try to route around it on the way home.

Given General Electric's big "Ecomagination" "green" push, I thought they might let me send out an notice via the company email regarding today's event. Nope, GE don't support no stinkin bikers. But, my buddy Craig rode in, so we decided to make today "Ride Around During Work Day." A nice 3 hour lunch on A1A along the beach was just the ticket!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I saw one today on the way in. A few on the way home. I admit I had my rain gear on the way in. I don't know that I would ride in questionable weather with out gear though either. Lot's of pick ups sporting TMC wings though. Sorry I really couldn't help it.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I rode in. There wasn't one more bike on the commute than I see any other day, which means I didn't see any.
I saw two this morning. Which is two more than the usual (as of late). I used to meet a guy on a Shadow, one on a Sporty, and one guy riding a 636 Ninja every morning. I quit seeing them about last October (November for the 636 guy!). Hope they've just changed work hours, or have suddenly become Independently Wealthy.............

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think I saw three other riders on the road yesterday. My workplace actually encourages it by advertising via email and setting a "display area" aside in a premium parking area. A total of six bikes showed up, plus one electric powered mini dump truck.

Temperatures in the high 90's may have something to do with the low turn out. Why do they hold this event in Mid- July?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I saw two this morning. Which is two more than the usual (as of late). I used to meet a guy on a Shadow, one on a Sporty, and one guy riding a 636 Ninja every morning. I quit seeing them about last October (November for the 636 guy!). Hope they've just changed work hours, or have suddenly become Independently Wealthy.............
My total for the ride home yesterday was Nine: Three sportbikes, Four Cruisers, one Land-Yacht, and a Trike. (not counting myself on the AirHawk)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.