Motorcycle Forums banner

Ride to Work the Long Way

20K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  azicat 
#1 ·
Makes my butt and my back hurt just thinking about it. But I'd do it. Reminds me of the trip between Abilene and Midland, TX.......except that the road in Yossef's story has curves and elevation changes, the scenery is different, and there are less oil wells. Oh......no people between Abilene and Midland either.

First first,

smoove

#5 ·
I enjoyed the read, thanks.

I was surprised that heat was your only complaint. As a long time VFR fan, I always check out this type of bike asap. There was no way I could sit on that "scooped out" seat for that long. The bike is also plenty big enough to not have made the seat so narrow.

All that being said, maybe I should reconsider the bike with an after market seat instead of dismissing it for a huge flaw.

#6 ·
I've heard the mirrors are useless at speed, no mention of this ! Heat management

would be an issue in North America, it gets real hot here to. Beautiful looking bike. What kind of fuel mileage and tank range was achieved ? more about the bike and ergos please. How about maintenance costs, and the reliability factor ? Is it as bulletproof as the Honda? I saw one in person, it sure looked well made. I'm Not quite ready to trade yet.

#7 ·
Your commute seems a little more interesting than mine though I suppose even round trips to Barcalona would get old after awhile. I'm surprised Triumph didn't have bags available for the Sprint, they're usually real good about that. Great story, I prefer Italy to Spain myself, in the 70's at least it was a lot more fun and the Italian people seemed much better off than the Spaniards. Hotter bettys too.

#11 ·
Hello airfiddler

Mirror problems werent mentioned because I didnt have any issues with them. Agree with you on the heat issue. Milleage was on average around 15 km per liter, tank capacity is 21 liters, reserve included.

As you might have noticed, this was first and foremost a touring story, not a long term road test, so I surely cant testify on maintenance and reliability issues. Sorry.

Yossef

#12 ·
Hi Fenton

Really sorry that this was my only complaint.... Is there anything else you'd like me to complain about? :)

As noted, I was suspicious of the scooped seat too and just like you, I also preffer flatter saddles. But after three and a half very long days on the saddle I discovered to my surprise that it worked quite fine, at least with my lard factor.

Yossef

#15 ·
Talk about living vicariously through others... nice article! It was almost like being there. I was almost dead-set on a new Buell Ulysses, but I may have to consider the ST.

Yossef, since you are about my size, what do you think about doing a Triumph ST and Buell Ulysses comparo?

#16 ·
What bike do you have now? If you have a sport tourer get the Ulysses (Its next on my list), If you have an adventure bike get the ST... Though that buell handles so well and is so comfy it would be tough to pass on. Then again when the tach hits 7 the party is over, and it hits it fast... Easy enough to adapt to I guess.

#17 ·
Thanks Yussef, for another great story. I was feeling sickly and nearly took the car to work. Your story, and the on-board video especially, made me change my mind. Good thing, 'cause I felt immediately felt better.

Can't wait for next year to go and tour the Dolomites!

Vincent.

#18 ·
Fabulous article, and fabulous photos, too. Thanks, Yossef, you've just made my subscription to MO worthwhile. I know most of the roads you went on in Italy and France, and reading this made me think I was there again. And for those who haven't been, the astonishing new Millau bridge is picture 18, not the one inserted in the text.

#21 ·
Oh, yeah. I forgot to compliment you on the article. I have enjoyed all of your reviews, especially since you tend to ride/test the bikes I really like. You should get your hands on a Buell XB12Ss. I know the Triumph has character, but I doubt it has as much as the Buell.

Francis

#26 ·
To Fat & Vlad

A few thoughts then but be it be clear, this was no comparo. The futura is getting a bit old and in terms of power and engine refinment its starting to lack compared to VFR, 1050 and even ST3. As much as I do like VFR's, never liked the VTEC version with their power step when the VTEC comes on and being 20 RWHP down on the 1050 is something you'd notice. The 1050 feels roomier, at least for my 6'4". If there's another bike that'd be high on my list for my kind sport-sport-touring, it'd be the old Superbalckbird, but it needs a serious update by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.