Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Everyday

Rode in today on my bike like I do everyday. Counted the number of bikes I saw (7 total) and didn't see anymore or less then any other day.

Pretty sad, guess they can't take the heat here in Mesa Arizona

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Ride To Work Tomorrow!

My wife is riding her Road Glide for you today. She is a grade school teacher so she doesn't go to work this time of year but instead of taking the car on errands she's promised to ride her bike.

She wanted me to tell you that it was for you and for those with you who can't ride today either.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: what the f**k !!!

My normal commute is A). done one my bike and B). allways a snooze

This morning on "Ride to Work Day" I had some Dean Martin looking f**k in a Hawiian shirt and a new Mustang play chiken with me while I was trying to merge from hwy 18 to I-5 northbound (he won)

Then some ***** in a Caravan wanted to play bumper tag going up the carpool lanes @ 80mph

Then some zombie in a Expedition tried to make a lane change into my saddlebags, even when he saw me he took awhile deciding if he should give me back the other 3/4's of my lane.

This is the first year in ages that I've rode in on RTW day, usually this turns out to be the one day out of the year I have to drive for some reason, now I know why. It seems that after a few weeks of high 80's around here people start getting addled.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd Love to But...

I got knocked off my bike by a cage while riding into work last Thursday. My Arai Helmet and Firstgear Jacket did their jobs. Nothing is broken but most of me is black, blue, or yellow/green(!). My poor VFR is going to need some new plastic. The Givi side bags soaked up most of the damage, or it would have been a lot worse for both me and the bike.

As a side note, although the Firstgear mesh jacket kept me from getting any road rash, I'm not very happy with the construction. The shoulder armor ripped clean off exposing the flimsy liner underneath. Any more sliding on that should and I would have been in a world of hurt.

Do ride to work, but keep your eyes open. They are trying to kill you.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Wrong attitude, dude!

I prefer to look at it this way. Today, during my normal 42 mile morning commute, I was pleased to demonstrate to several pathetic loser tie wearing drones that their supposed "performance cars" are the ridiculously slow ill-handling cages that they are.

Someone should tell these clowns with the midlife crises that when they drive a Taurus or Camry their poor driving skills are unnoticeable since that what everybody expects. But when they parade their lack of talent in a Z3 or a Mustang or a Thunderbird they only provoke peals of laughter.

If you dress up a monkey in a tuxedo all you have is a monkey in a tuxedo. Put an inept drone a Corvette and all you get is an inept drone in a Corvette. Albeit a more dangerous drone.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: what the f**k !!!

I had an extremely bright woman merge into my lane (at low speed approaching an intersection) because because she mistook my riding in the left tire track as "riding between lanes." I then had to pull a little farther left when she invaded my lane. When she was inches from knocking me down, I stopped to "educate" her. She still insisted that I was between lanes as I was SITTING stopped, clearly inside the lane marker. When I pointed this out, she just kind of stared at me blankly.

Also had a guy in a Carerra 4 convertible left-lane squatting and erratically riding the brake in front of me for a third of the trip. When I was finally able to safely pass, I noticed he was screwing with a cell phone.

Traffic, road construction most of the way, too.

But I would do it all over again.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Ride To Work Tomorrow!

Next time get them to mount your MV to the top of the fuselage. What a rush, huh?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Ride To Work Today!

So, I get out to the garage this morning, get out the 1985 Suzuki GS700E. My wife took the other bike, which she doesn't normally do since she works 3 minutes away from home, but hey, it's Ride to Work Day. I don't always do a complete inspeciton, but I figure hey, it's a special day, better show the general public how it's done and inspect it.

Wow, that brake light looks mighty bright. And neither brake switch is working! Ah, okay, adjust the rear brake switch. Now it works. But wait, the front still doesn't work. I don't know how these things work. So I open it up and it clearly has been tarnishing for the past 19 years. I try cleaning it, realigning it, everything. The darn thing won't work.

Wait, now the taillight isn't working at all. Oh no, a fuse! I don't know where the fuses are, and the shop manual doesn't tell me. (Must be in the owner's manual that didn't come with the bike.) I find the fuses, sure enough, it's blown. Oh crap, the previous owner doesn't have any spares. Wait, there's one. Ah, the taillight is working again.

Sweat is pouring down my face as I keep trying the front brake light switch, but to no avail. Eventually I give up. "But damnit, I'm riding to work on Ride to Work Day," I think, as the car looks at me with eyebrows raised. Okay, hell, I'll just remember to use my rear brake a lot.

On the way, I come to a stoplight which I hit every single day and the camera always triggers. Not today. One cycle. Two cycles. Three cycles. Finally a car comes up behind me and puts me out of my misery.

I get to work safely, a half hour late, sweaty and annoyed. But hey, I rode my bike to work today!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

Well, if your Sebring is the ragtop, I guess you might get partial credit for the day.

The lady is right about Destin being "fancy". They have to bus in all the domestic help, 'cause there is no housing on the island. I'm over in Panama City, where the tooth-per-head (TPH) count is in the double digits, but fairly low.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Boom boom

Sounds like my every day commute, here in Smog City.

I was going to mount something like a Sharps .54 & 1/4, 45.70 or some other cannon on the mighty Kawi, but have decided on the 23mm cannon that came standard on a MIG15, for real stopping power. If that could bring down a B29, a BMW (or Volvo) should be easy pickins.

Some guy in Tunisia has one on Ebay, I'm bidding on it now.

Look out, cagers!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Re: I'd Love to But...

Steve,

Box that jacket up and send it to Firstgear. Tell them what happened. Maybe they'll help you out.

Also, make sure you get with the cager's insurance company (hopefully you have them) and get them to pay for new safety gear. Jacket, hat, boots, gloves.

Take digital pictures of all your gear for future use.

Good Luck!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Boom boom

Ever since the feds mandated steel shot there have been piles of old 12 gauge shotguns in the pawnshops for cheap. By a dozen and rig them up. Use 1/2 oz. AP sabot slugs.

That should do the trick.

·
Registered
409 Posts

There were about twice the number of bikes I normally see in the AM between Macon and Atlanta, Georgia today. Nice cool 65 on top of that. Rode my VERY high milage sidecar rig in (instead of the '03 HD or '00 BMW), since I ride the others every day any way. Then again, all my my riding co-workers (except for the novice on the 250cc machine) ride to work every day any way, and did today, and we are all mighty proud we didn't have to make any excuses for not riding, like some of the lamoes above! Looking forward to being in the way this evening! Wonderful thing about sidecars, folks all look and point and it becomes a rolling road block. THEY ACTUALLY SEE ME! Kinda nice actually.....

BigJames

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh, if Anna shows up.....

she'll have to deal with my wife....and I can't reach the damn bars on a Duc, but thanks anyway....being under 6 feet tall with wide shoulders really make riding a Duc tricky....riding Anna, oh, never mind, I shouldn't even think about that sort of thing....

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.