Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
How about "Ride to lunch" day? I've got a business lunch down at LAX (the Proud Bird) and have to ride through the pothole/SUV infested streets of LA in a couple hours...

Let's see, I've got my Crucifix, rabbits foot, 4 leaf clover...steel toes and a new Arai. But due to local laws and the 3 strikes issue I'll keep the Mod 27 at home this time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pretty much as I expected, few if any bikes on the road today. But on Sunday, of course, the parking lots at biker bars will be filled with shiny, barely used Harleys, their owners checking their Blackberrys and Razrs between discussions of wines and single-malt scotches.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I prefer my 4" Mod 19. Nice and light for all day carry. I love the GP100 but it's just too heavy to carry around.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You might post this a little earlier. I rode in as always, so I'm covered.

But...not many bikes out there today in Sacto - they're forecasting 15% chance of rain. I actually saw three drops where I parked. Otherwise it would have been the usual excuse of over a hunnert degrees out - "too hot to ride."

Whatever.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why the hell is WTW day in the hottest part of the year? It was 104 F in my locale yesterday... not exactly my favorite "ride to work" weather, though I do it often.

Seem like early June or sometime in September (both generally more temperate in North America) might find the most riders out on the roads.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My commute is 41 miles each way. Yesterday I got rained on at the 20-30 mile area on the way home. I was completely dry by the time I got home. One of the benefits of living in the desert.

We don't need no steenking rain gear.

Wussies.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
What's the problem with the heat? I wear a textile jacket when it's 90+, and the wind going through the vents is plenty good enough to keep me comfortable. When I'm expecting stop-and-go traffic, I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket - not unbearable when stopped, and when you're moving you freakin' freeze. I don't know what the scientific principle is, but I can't wear it when it's less than 90 degrees or I literally shiver. Weird.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yeah, my 5 screw Highway Patrolman is getting too old/rare to risk dropping. I have a 1902 Colt pocket automatic (.380) the classic Hollywood "gat" for carry chores. With a bianchi off-duty rig, you can't see it...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I was going to take my shiny, barely used Harley to work, but I am saving it for Sunday to ride to the biker bar. I have to check the messages on my Blackberry first to make sure everyone is going to bring some single-malt scotch.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I was at the local "biker" watering hole sunday afternoon. It's a cool place on the beach and they have an open blues jam every Sunday. There are lots of faux patch-wearing blackberry coddling bikers.

They were all having a grand time looking like badasses until several members of the Vagos showed up. These are 1%er types and thankfully they were in a cordial mood that day.

Good thing I rode my Ducati and left my ECOC M/C patch at home.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jeepers. I have this same problem with my dirt biking buddies. They don't want to go ride because it's too hot, too dry, too dusty, clogs the air filter. But then in December they don't want to go because it's too cold, too wet, too muddy, wears the chain.

Whether you ride street or dirt, it can't always be 74 degrees, partly cloudy, with a 10mph ocean breeze. If you're waiting for a day like that, you'll have other obligations that day, and won't end up riding at all.

Seriously. I had friends who only rode once a month, and I thought they were slackers. Then it became once a year. Now some of these guys have gone up to two years without riding-- one of them keeps his dirt bike in my garage, so believe me, I know the facts-- either dirt or street.

[My rant gains momentum.]

When I point out to them how long it's been since they've shown their bike some love, they say, "Nawwww...it can't have been that long!" Used bike buyers beware: they say the same thing about oil changes, air filters, and other routine maintenance. They don't keep a log book, and constantly trick themselves into believing that they're keeping up with maintenance. But I keep a secret log book for their bikes-- easily done since I only have to jot down notes once every year or two-- along with my own bikes' log books, so I know for certain when the last time they changed the oil was. Typically these guys will go five to ten rides, or one, two, even four years (!) without changing the oil, but if I suggest they change it, they say, "Oh, I changed it just a couple rides ago, it should be O.K." For street bikes, they'll say, "a couple months ago" instead of "rides ago" but you get the idea.

My religion holds that even inanimate objects can have spiritual force. Maybe that sounds hokey to you but if you've ever felt awe at Yosemite or truly loved a bike, maybe you'll feel there's some truth to this. Anyway, eventually I take pity on the poor bikes and will do some maintenance myself and jot it down in my secret log-book, much as I would feed and shelter a lost dog.

To all you slacker motorcyclists out there: sell your bikes and put your energy elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.