Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
While mentioned in the article, I would like to stress how important different types of asphalt and rain change the handling of a bike. I've been riding off-and-on for 30 years now, and during a recent rainstorm I found myself sliding along the asphalt at 65 MPH after hitting a patch of pure tar! In my area they do a lot of "chip and seal", that's where they pour tar down on the road, then pour rocks on top of that. Those are pressed into the tar. This works OK for a while, but when the rocks come out of the tar, it leaves nothing but tar. When wet, tar by itself is a very slick substance. I didn't see the tar patch, but my front tire sure did. Fortunately, I wasn't injured other than some minor scrapes and bruises, nor was the other motorcyclists who found that same patch of tar ten minutes after I did, and also lost control of his bike at 65 MPH.

You really have to pay even more attention to the ground surface during rain storms.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.