Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Re: You can drive on my bridge..

Actually, I went to school for art and design.

I'm one of those long haired hippy types that believe in free love, fighting The Man, and convincing women that Life Drawing is always done in the nude.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Re: OK I need to vent..

The guy who rails against GW's short-sighted economic policies maintains a lifestyle so far beyond his means that he doesn't have sufficient buffer for a battery. The mind boggles.

·
Registered
872 Posts

That's poor logic. I'm not saying software is the same as a bridge or a road. I'm saying that the software that's running your car, and running the tools that are used to build bridges and cars, and running airplanes, and nearly everything else mechanical these days, is part of civilization. No, it wasn't in the past, but.. that's why it's called 'past'.

Our world is becoming increasingly interconnected, thanks to software. Medical science, pharmaceuticals, all technology is expanding at an exponential rate, none of it possible without software. "Tweak code" is a joke. Sure, the Golden Gate Bridge is more impressive looking than the code base for Autocad, but no new large-scale bridges are being built without similar software these days.

I have the utmost respect for civil engineers, mechanical engineers, and frankly all other sorts of engineers. My father was an architect, his father was a civil engineer that literally built bridges all across the west coast. My grandfather worked on (among other things) Galloping Gurdy, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Panama Canal.

What recently seemed like futuristic cybernetics is coming sooner than you think; the barrier between man and machine is slowly (but exponentially faster and faster) being bridged with nano and biotechnology. Strong AI is coming soon as well, sooner than anyone who isn't paying attention thinks. In my opinion this is some pretty impressive engineering, none of it possible without the software building blocks behind it.

As our civilization progresses our definitions of engineering slowly adapt to fit with the technologies used. Note the word 'engine' in engineering. It's not called bridgeineering.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

Well said.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Re: Software 101

It's a legitimate offer, If you want to ride I'll pick you up a battery and meet you at Top Foods, no strings attached. Pick a time and I'll be there.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts

I've grown up in the 'burbs most of my life, while there's racists everywhere this is a fairly diverse neighborhood. No black people that I know of but quite a few asians and hispanics along with some interracial marriges. Everyone seems to get along more or less.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

Well, I kinda left that unsaid..............

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Well, I've had the same bike for five or six years, because I can't afford a new one, but it's got forty thousand miles on it. Talking about buying a bike but not doing it is ok with me.

But damn! Can't you just start the thing once in a while and ride it a few miles? That's about all it takes to keep the battery alive. It's not like the squid lives in the Yukon, or something.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

Hey! I'm a HighSchool Dropout!

Don't I get Mad Props from someone?

Where's the Love?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

"OK, you guys did a Real Damn Good Job designing this thing. Now, let's see how many ways we can break it..........."

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

I'll bring the Little Orphan Annie (tm) Decoder Rings!!

81 - 100 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.