Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That first link doesn't work; it has a bunch of periods in it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, someone needs to post here, so i'll do all the talking.

I don't know about the Cortech suit, and I've never owned exactly this fieldsheer suit, but I have a fieldsheer jacket and fieldsheer pants, and have the following to say:

They fit very well, are comfortable, and the armour seems well placed for me.

The build quality is total crap. Zippers ripped off within days of owning both, lots of seams fell apart, random flaps tore off with almost no force.

They're not waterproof although they were marketed as such.

I still wear the pants though, since I have trouble finding armoured pants that fit me, I'm 6'3 and very thin. They have no front zipper anymore but it doesn't really matter; there's a velcro thing there and the one remaining waist cinch keeps them up. I always wear them over jeans anyway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well first off I wouldn't buy a 1 piece for casual riding/touring, it's too much hassle to get in and out of. Especially if you're getting a synthetic. Two piece suits are more adaptable and user friendly.

I have this >http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm< with the pants which I can highly recommend great value for money.

As for Tour Master, I own thier two piece leather suit and can catagorically say they're the best leathers for the money available anywhere. Tour Master make quality and affordable gear.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
No experiance with TourMaster suits put I have a pair of 15 year old TourMaster gloves that held up very well.

Of course now that I am a total snob / fashion plate in my Aerostitch Darien suit (in tastfull Hi Viz,) I don't mess around with these lower priced suits but I did have pretty good luck with a Joe Rocket Ballistic series.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Neither one. For everday use an Aerostitch one piece. They fix it, too unlike other brands...are you going to send your suit to Fieldsheer to get it repaired? I think not. Quality made in the USA. I disagree with the comment about the one piece being too awkward...NOT!!

My stitch goes on and off in less than 30 seconds without rushing. I have been down in it too (not bad) and it was like jumping on the bed. I wear it nearly EVERYDAY (in the cold, hot, wind, rain) and it works. Not perfect mind you, but as close as you'll get for a do-it-all suit. It also makes a great play in the snow suit, too. The shoulder armor is great for tackling snowmen. I might as well enjoy the snow if I'm stuck in it for awhile. It can't be THAT much more than the others, and it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Get a stich (roadcrafter), get a two piece if you ride in a lot of rain, one piece if you dont. It may be spendy up front but cheap in the long run. Once you buy one your done, or you can keep buying cheaper [email protected] over and over till you end up buying a stich. Out way more than bitting the bullet the first time. Get your spiffy new stich and the only looking back you'll be doing is in your rear view mirrors. Ride safe

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Off you go then, I like the two piece Darian because the sizing is more ...ummm....generous.. and sometimes I ride in jeans (gasp !!!) and the jacket instead of the full suit. Either way for comfort fit and quality they just can't be beat.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a tourmaster / cortech jacket and I used to have the pants...

I zipped them together for racing. The pants didn't last though a single crash though. Granted it was a 120 mph butt slide but I didn't even make it half way off the track before I felt the pavement on my bare ass. Leather just didn't hold up, stiching didn't hold up too well either.

The Jacket on the otherhand seems to be much better - it's survived five crashes now and looks pretty ragged a couple of the zippers are broken now but no real holes in it yet. I retired it as my racing jacket but it's still my street jacket.

I recomend the jacket highly, but not the pants.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but get a 'Stich.

Somehow I knew before even reading any responses that it would lead to that comment. It seems if you wear an Aerostich, and own a VFR, SV650, and Concourse you have everything anybody could possible ask for. Sadly enough I have an Aerostich, an and used to have both an SV650 and a VFR. Luckily I sold the VFR and it wasn't an "older one".

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I have the Tour Master Pants.. [*]Great Quality stuff.. [*]Warm and comfy..[*] nice padding.. wish I had been wearing these when I went down..

I have a friend that has the Fieldsheer Highland One-Piece TX Suit. [*] He likes it but he is a weekend only rider. [*]Seems kiind of flimsy to me

For serious riding

[*] I would take sarnali's word as gospel on this stuff.
[*] I know how challenging his commute is i.e. weather and traffic wise. [*]He is a braver and heartier man than I..[*] I think serious folks have to consider the Aerostitch.. [*] I like one piece things if they are designed well. [*]My favorite skiing suit was a Helly Hansen thing which I grew out of ... burp..belch... [*]One piecer's flow with your body better when you are doing something active like skiing. [*] Plus for protection they hold together better I would think..[*] Don't see any MotoGP racers wearing 2 piece leathers do ya? [*]Come to think about it all those racers wear full-face helmets... hmm that's a discussion for another day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a Fieldsheer Highland suit about 2 years ago. I had fitting problems with the suit. The crotch was waaaay to low. I returned the suit for a smaller size (twice) but never had the suit fit properly in the crotch, even though it was very obviously too small in all other measurements. I was later told by a dealer that they were going to pull the suit form the US market because of all the returns. He said that apparently European men were built differently than American men (longer torsos and shorter legs), and that the Highlander suit’s proportions were not suited to the American market. I don’t know if I believed him or not, I’d never heard anything about any difference in body proportions before; in any case, I sent the suit back. They might have corrected whatever problem the suit had at the time I bought it, but I thought I’d just let you know. FYI, I found the suit to be very high quality, not quite up to Areostich standards, but at less than half the price I found it to be a great bargain. I’d try it again if they have fixed the fit issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It seems that some people are talking about leathers, but the Tour Master is nylon. Nylon may be comfortable, but I wouldn't trust it in a fall. Not because it can't be strong enough, but because it's much more likely to catch on the pavement and send you tumbling. When you fall it's best to just slide - even though it may wear through your leathers. If you tumble you're likely to break things - like your neck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.