Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding my old ZX-10 home from work on an interstate, and the side wind gusts were pretty strong. I ended up running ~55-60 in a 75 zone, and the gusts were whacking me good.

Anyone ever been shoved off the road by side winds?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Nearly. I got caught in a windstorm once in Utah that had blown some empty coal cars off the rr tracks. I discovered this when I was blown suddenly across two lanes and onto the shoulder on my KZ750. Lighter bikes are worse in general.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall ever riding in gusts this strong before. But the bike generally stayed in a straight line--it just wobbled left to right, etc. From behind it must've looked like I was losing it, but the bike seemed to be countersteering itself. I couldn't tell if the wind was blowing my body around and my arms were doing the countersteering, or the bike was doing it itself. I did get some good lean angles. Just glad the gusts weren't stronger. Wasn't real fun at all.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
This is obviously another symptom of Global Warming, and as such all blame for it must be placed squarely on the shoulders of George Bush.

Algore warned us about him!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I recently read an article that says that a group of researches say that we have peaked on our warming period and over the next 10years it will be leveling out and beginning to cool... imagine that the tree huggers were wrong? oh, NEVER they cant be wrong!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Why that S.O.B......

This is obviously another symptom of Global Warming, and as such all blame for it must be placed squarely on the shoulders of George Bush.

Algore warned us about him!
Back in the 80's I almost got blown off a bridge going over the Columbia River Gorge in Vantage. The area is notorious for vortex winds, my first wife and I were on my K100RS on our way to Yellowstone and we got hit first one direction then the other, we were all over the road trying to keep it up. Scared the crap out of both of us.

So even back then Boosh was causing problems eh?....that figures!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Back in the 80's I almost got blown off a bridge going over the Columbia River Gorge in Vantage. The area is notorious for vortex winds, my first wife and I were on my K100RS on our way to Yellowstone and we got hit first one direction then the other, we were all over the road trying to keep it up. Scared the crap out of both of us.

The world was perfect before 2000. Bush's evil mind control rays have filled your head with false memories that hide your ability to recall the idyllic times before he was president. Back then you could even come up with a clever new argument that would turn murdering terrorists into pacifists. Damm that evil Boosh!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
True, true,...

Maybe Bushie should work for Harley. He has 8 years of experience running an evil empire, so it should be a good fit.
He is going to be looking for a job soon. Maybe Wal*Mart is hiring store managers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>"The area is notorious for vortex winds, my first wife and I were on my K100RS on our way to Yellowstone and we got hit first one direction then the other, we were all over the road trying to keep it up. Scared the crap out of both of us."<

Guess I've been real lucky, because I've never had the bike move over more than a foot or so. But yesterday I wasn't having fun, what with a crummy Yaris blowing by me as if it was dead calm. Jeeez!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I was commuting home from SF to the east bay years back and we had 80mph gusts over the Bay Bridge with sheets of rain. My 300lb butt on my 600lb bmw were being blown from one tire track to the other. Though prior I was in a similar storm on my KLR 650 and almost had the wheels blown out from under it. That was not fun, 21" hoop in the front acts as a sail in the wind... Hug the bike as tight as you can to make a smaller wind target and keep a looser grip on the bars so your body doesnt cause the wobbles.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts

No, back then it was the end results of the wide spread Global Cooling that was being reported in the 70s. Because waaaaaaaayyyyy back then we were headed towards an unavoidable Ice Age. I'm sure we all remember it; living in igloos, wearing fur-lined parkas while at the beach, and frost bite in July. It was brutal, I tell you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.