Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I'm all for the law. I mean we really don't have any God given right to ride motorcycles, do we? Riding motorcycles is a PRIVILIDGE and not a RIGHT. Just because you own the property does not give you the right to do what you want on it. Owning property is a PRIVILIDGE also. If only ONE life is saved by enacting this law, I'm 100% behind it. I hope this, and many more laws just like it are forthcoming. I hope everyone here at MO will get behind me on this one and support this law to the fullest. Thank You!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Another dumb idea from the bleeding hearts. I wonder what epidemic this is supposed to solve? I'm also curious why horse enthusiasts would be involved at all with this.

If I have time, I'm going to attend this meeting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Believe it or not we get the same thing up here in Idaho where, for the most part, there is a whole bunch of nothing. Unbelievable. It makes no sense until you spend enough time around horses to realize that the smartest horse in the world is still the dumbest animal that ever lived - and downright spook prone too.

That's my theory. Otherwise I don't know what it is about equestrians that makes them want to rule the earth, but they sure do seem set on it everywhere.

sbp

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Too many people = too many rules.

As an example, I use to live in Canyon Lake, next to Lake Elsinore. A few years back, you could ride all over the area surrounding Canyon Lake, on a dirt bike, and not bother anyone.

But now, if you try to ride a non-street legal bike on any of the fire roads or trails surrounding Canyon Lake, or lake Perris, the helicopter comes out and soon you're busted.

The area is being developed like crazy, due to the housing market, and what use to be a nice trail is now someone's barbeque/spa/backyard.

In So. Cal, you have to drive for 3-4 hours to get away from it all. Sad but true. Even El Mirage is being fenced off.

Like pot farming, maybe McGrath can build an underground MX track.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Horses...

...they make great dog food.

I hate horses. My great uncle ran a quarter horse ranch in Malad, and I had to go there every summer for about 4 years.

What weighs 1000 lbs, is mean, and has a brain the size of an orange? No, not Kpaul, a horse.

Why do you think they invented motorcycles, anyway? Also, horses have only one horsepower, which, (last I checked) is not a very good power-to-weight ratio.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
All off-road horse riders need to be required to pass a horse handling class and wear protective riding gear. Just ask the late-great Christopher Reeve about the dangers of those beasts. I think horses should be confined to the streets. That'll give you sport bike riders something else to dodge. Enjoy the poop.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
That's the way it's getting here too, the new sign of affluance is a 5 acre mountain view lot, 2 or 3 Appaloosas gazing peacefully next to the shiney white his 'n hers Highlanders in the curving driveway of your McMansion. I always beep the horn if they're next to the fence, gives them a little excersise.

Most of the places I went dirty-biking and .22 shooting as a kid are someones yard now. At the age my daughters are now, 12 & 13, I was out running around on dirt bikes and screwing around in the woods all day. They can't really do that now because the woods are someones property and fenced off. They just hang around the neighborhood with their croneys making googly eyes at the boys.

Makes me feel like grabbing a cardigan and watching Lawrence Welk re-runs...

·
Registered
729 Posts
On the other hand...

Also, horses have only one horsepower, which, (last I checked) is not a very good power-to-weight ratio.

True - but when was the last time you plowed a field with a Ducati??

Wait, didn't we kind of do that?

sbp

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Geritol & tow ropes

Wunnerfull wunnerfull, anda nowa we have-a the Lennon Sisters singing-a "Tiny Bubbles".

Lately, what with the encroachment of civilization, I feel real lucky to have grown up in the 60's and 70's. Before spark arrestors, green stickers and reliable electrical systems.

Hell, growing up in LA back then, every vacant lot was a potential MX track waiting to be born. And pulling over for the cops was optional.

Maybe that's why I still drool over CL350's, DT1's, old Beezers and such.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Movin' to Montana soon...

..gonna be a dental floss tycoon...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Offroad riders are an endangered species.My old riding areas have all been fenced off or are patrolled by cops on 4-wheelers.Most farmers dontletus ride due to liability....the last farmer who let us use his property was harrassed by folks in the new housing development built right up against his property and wontlet us ride anymore.There are NO open public rding areas within 60 miles of my house......the closest practiceMX park is 2.5 hours away. If it wasnr for weekend racing Id not ride at all. Offroad issues are my main reason for supporting AMA.If you think Big Brother and the politically correct liberals arent out to control society,you aint a dirt rider.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a world gone mad. My girls (ages 7 & 9) and I have to drive 2 hours to ride our dirt bikes. But, it is a state forest in MN, and it's really nice, so it's worth it. (We'll do 100 miles of fireroad and single track over a weekend, compared to KPaul's 150 big street miles. What a joke, but I digress).

Like Sarnali, I look back at how things were when I was my kids' age, and *really* sense a loss. I rode ALL over when I was 10, and hadn't a care in the world. Even if my kids could ride all over, I couldn't let them for fear of some pedophile stealing them. I don't let them out of my sight.

Anyway, although MN is overrun with the green freaks, through effective cooperation with the DNR, there is actually a state forest which is open exclusively to horses all weekends but 2 per year. On those two weekends (one spring, one fall), the park is open to motorcyclists. Great trails, and the local club (Golden Eagles) do a great job of trail maintenance. It goes to show that if people are willing to work at it, and NOT be a-holes, the DNR will listen.

This gives me hope that we still have a future.

Sarnali, do your girls ride? My girls live for it. That, and I get to spend 2 days a week exclusively with them. Its as much fun for me as it is for them. Nothing beats having your female offspring dust a couple of smart aleck young bucks in the woods. The only downside is that now they want KTMs. Better that than lip gloss, I guess.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.