Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Note to all riders: Don't fight with cars.

My dad used to say, "He was right, dead right." Your life is not worth a game of chicken. Leave your ego at home so you can enjoy your children when you return.

I did note the article pointed out they weren't wearing helmets as if that would have helped massive trauma to the sternum, spine and ribs.

I suppose if he had been wearing a full-face they could have had his viewing in a nice hat box.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have to agree with you on the helmet comment in the article. It was placed as a stand alone sentence between two paragraphs as if to elevate the importance that they were not wearing helmets.

Normally I would side with the reporter stating weather or not a rider was wearing a helmet in a fatal accident. In this case the reporter is clearly trying to distort the facts and imply a helmet could have made a difference.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I totally agree. It's sort of like carrying a concealed firearm (or open carry when in AZ). You do not argue as any argument will be deemed an assault on your part when carrying a firearm. Just as you should just pull the hell over and let the jackass in the SUV pass.

But as a side note, since, when I'm not by myself, I am usually only riding with my girlfriend, if I was the survivor that guy would never make it to court.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The helmet thing

Yep I thought the helmet thing might cause a stir but in this case I don't think it would of helped. As longride has said numerous times. Massive internal injuries causing trauma to the chest and adomen ain't going to be helped by a helmet. i.e. sometimes you are going to die no matter what...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
If this guy used a gun, he'd be up for life, or possibly even a date with the electric chair. By using his car, he will get off with a couple years max. So the moral of the story, is never use a weapon if you are going to off someone. Use the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It has taken me most of my 25 year riding career to learn to keep my cool with cagers.

I think that is the real lesson for us here.

Yes, it would be great fun to pull'm out of their cage at the next light. But, it just isn't worth it. Plus, if they get a chance to bump you while you're rolling. You loose big.

Like others have said here. Pull over and let'm go. Count to ten, take a deep breath or whatever it takes for ya to cool off.

If local bikers want to do something useful in this case. Have a rally during this guys trial. Call the media and be visible to draw attention to what happened. It might help to get him a stiffer sentence?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't pick fights with cars, suv's, minivans, etc.

So I'm not too worried about hitting a tree while trying to evade said vehicles. I'm more worried about banging my head on the pavement after trying to avoid the car that made a left hand turn in front of me--of which is more likely to happen (to me anyway).

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a bicyclist and a motorcyclist, I have to agree with this statement. Also, when I've discussed this with some local police officers, they agree that if you want to kill someone and get away with it, the car is the instrument of choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The article states the guy is charged with 2nd degree murder. According to the Delaware Criminal Code, that is a Class A Felony, punishable by not less than 15 years. Whether he is convicted is another thing, but looks like the DA is taking it seriously.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.