Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a philistine, I couldn't care less about old racers. Or old athletes of any kind. Athletes interest me because of their performance. When that's gone, there's not much left.

One of the reasons I'm letting my subscription to Motorcyclist lapse is because of the excessive Kenny Roberts content. I'm interested in who's racing tomorrow, not twenty years ago.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's nice to have perspective, but above that I don't think we should hang too much on the past. But I guess old athletes are like Harley's, enough guys want to "remember the past" and they'll always be around. Kenny has a pretty tough job in MotoGP, I'm not sure if he'll ever win, the other teams are too strong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Saying that KR has a tough job is an understatement of mythic proportions; David vs. Goliath was even-money compared to this one. MotoGP technology has the shelf life of ice cubes in Ecuador. So, taking on the Big-4 and Ducati - and all of their attending money, R&D and manpower - with what-amounts-to a cottage operation takes balls. If Roberts' team ever makes a podium the Nobel commitee should create a special racing-prize and award it to the KR team.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Roberts and Lawson bring a wealth of knowledge to any discussion and have probably forgotten more about motorcycle racing than I'll learn in my entire lifetime. -Sean

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Well said. I think there's a line somewhere that says those forgetting the past are doomed to make the same mistakes.

Now if I could just quit buying old Honda 350s.

·
Registered
955 Posts
A Couple of Rare Bird:

While there are any number of talented riders out there, few of them are able to speak intelligently about the sport. This isn't a knock on anyone; it's just that natural talent is bestowed at birth and there's no way to explain that. I've always hated the old saying, "Those who can, do! Those who can't, teach!" because it is so dismissive of the importance of good teachers.

Roberts and Lawson have the rare combination of talent and practical knowledge. To me, listening to guys like that is always a treat.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: A Couple of Rare Bird:

And those who can't teach, teach PE.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeesh, did Kenny seem pissed about something during that interview or what? What the heck was his problem? Poor ol' Despain had to work like he was pulling impacted wisdom teeth, and could hardly get a word out of Roberts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I watched the interview. Roberts isn't exactly Mr. Personality, is he. I thought maybe that his attitude could just be the result of a person having been called "King" for a number of years; but then, it never made Petty or Elvis a sour puss.

·
Registered
955 Posts
While I've read several pieces about and by Kenny Roberts, I've never seen him on TV or in person. He's always been known as a bit of a hardass, but he's always come-off as intelligent and sometimes funny, in print. Maybe interviewing him at a time when his Proton team is floundering wasn't such a good idea. I’d imagine it’s pretty hard for anyone to be friendly and engaging, when their life’s work is in crises.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.