Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting. Looks like the engine is really too large, physically, for that application, though. It makes the bike look bulky.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
It seems a bit overdue to see other applications come out of the Revolution engine package. I was really happy to see HD break the mold on the old pushrod design, but the VRODs never really appealed to me. I know I am not the only one wondering why Buell has not built something around that engine yet. Maybe this will be push they need. There has to be something better than the VROD based "Road Glide" bike I have seen in various magazines; that was a mess!

·
Registered
730 Posts
There was a recent interview with Erik in one of the brit mags, either PB or Bike, where Erick mentions that the water cooled engine was originally for him. He said Harley said they might want to use it a little, and could we have design input, to which he responded sure. Halfway through development Erik decided the influence was too much as the engine was getting too heavy and when Harley declined to change the specs said they'll keep it , he decided to walk and it went on to become the engine it is now. He said the target weight was 165 pounds, I think (for his uses).

Who knows what could have happened if the project went the other way.

--The Fox

·
Registered
473 Posts
dry weight: 425 lbs (claimed).

so where are all the naysayers who said the v-rod engine is too heavy to serve as the basis of a sportbike?

heh, heh, heh ...

paging mr. buell.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If any of the other manufacturers claims are correct, 425lbs is 50 lbs more than a lot of sportbikes that make the same and more power.

425 is more than light enough for me, but for number crunchers it's all they'll see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
RC-51 - claimed 439lb.

1098 - claimed 381lb.

425lb without any help from H-D is more then good enough.

If these guys can do 425lb then it is more then possible to massage this engine for Erik Buell. Doesn't the motor have all kinds of cosmetic crap built into it that could be machined off?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Indeed, and 425 lbs for $40K or whatever it was would be much less if it were to be mass produced. Hell, less than 425 would viable if it were mass produced and it would be cheaper.

Like I said, I have nothing wrong with 425lbs, it's a good 175lbs less than what I'm riding now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Also...

Look at how far back the rear sprocket is (and therfore how short the swingarm is).

And it looks like they had to go with side mounted radiators (which SUCK SUCK SUCK!)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not saying that these guys have to beat the Japs/Italians at their own game, that's too much to ask. But for $40K, 425 claimed dry weight compares poorly with a ZX10R's claimed dry weight of 385 and a price tag of $11K.

You're going to have to want the kitsch of an American sportbike to drop that kind of dough. Looks like a beautiful bike (didn't see how it was suspended), but I'd probably get more out of the high end Ducati 1098 and save $10K or so.

I like Fischer's approach to the American Sportbike, at least it's affordable, it's competitive, and it's got appeal to the everyday rider.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Yeah well don't forget that Big4 dry weights are notoriously false. Dry weights are apparently figured out in the advertising division.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Yeah but Bimota puts out horrendously expensive air-cooled sportbikes and gets nothing but praise. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Okay, first, what's with the shameless ripoff of Ducati? I mean, even the typeface and location of logos is pretty similar. The bike's shape doesn't look much like a Duc, but they obviously tried. It does look quite a bit better than the God-awful prototype.

Interesting thing I read from Mr. Buell recently: He claims that the Revolution was originally a Buell-intended project. Then H-D took it over and decided that the motor needed to work visually in a big cruiser. By the time they were done with it, Erik said that the thing was just too big and heavy to work well in his sportbike. So, it is possible that once you make some serious modifications, the motor might be significantly smaller and lighter. But at what cost?

And I'll believe the 425 lb. claimed weight when someone actually weighs one. Let's also remember that this bike probably has a fair amount of unobtanium to compensate in the weight department.

All that said, I'd love to see this thing actually work well and maybe even become a respectable success. Tough road, though.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
The front is too reminiscent of a Cushman scooter.

A lot of people've been saying that all they are waiting for is an American sportbike with a "proper" engine. Think you'll see the money being put where the mouth is?

- sound of crickets -

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.