Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nice report.

Not having been a close follower of The Motor Company or its products, I had not heard of Trev until I read some of the tributes following his death.

This does seem like a pretty big breakthrough for Harley Sportsters. I hope that the new one preserves the overall character of the original Sporty while bringing the vibration levels under control.

Any idea when more information, and perhaps some pictures, might be released?

Regards

Bob

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I guess this is okay as long as HD maintains its tradition of oil burning and parts shedding. I mean it just ain't a Sportster if I can't find my way home like Hansel and Gretel.

My only question is, "How will I pre-loosen my fillings for my trip to the dentist if my Sportster engine is rubber mounted?"

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I'm sure the "Motor Company" will offer a "parts shedding kit" in its P&A catalog. It will come with some non-toxic, biodegradeable goodies that will randomly fall off the bike giving you the nostalgic feel of being a real biker.

In addition, the "vibrator seat" will also be offered. It will have a reostat that will allow you to dial in the appropriate levels of vibration for you and your passenger. Levels of vibration will be:

1) Pretty smooth

2) A little tingly

3) Honey, turn this thing around and take me home and nail me!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I'm interested. I personally saw a lot of people walk away from purchasing a sportster based on two things. Seat height and vibration. Just those two things solved will

sell a lot more bikes. I'd like to know more.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Another planned accessory: the EZ-oil-leaker.

Can be activated separately or, in conjunction with the part-shedder, can be used as "countermeasures" against Japanese kamikaze semi-intelligent homing rockets (i.e.-600s).

·
Registered
446 Posts
You know, I was really hoping they'd counterbalance it instead. The Sportsters get their "sporting nature" at least in part from the solid mounting of the engine. Well, that, and to prevent the frame from twisting up like a pretzel.

Still, after the Twinky engine, we all expected that they would have to do *something* to the Sporty. And, really, pretty well anything is a help. I wouldn't actually mind seeing the 984cc Buell motor in a version of the Sportster, myself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
yes, i think they messed up by not using that motor in place of the 883. They should put the old lightning mill in as a replacement of the 1200 mill.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, why not. If Honda can put fake bolt on air-cooling fins on the Shadows then the next logical step is bolt on parts that fall off.

The good thing about Harleys is that you don't need to buy any special accessory parts that fall off. They come stock.

You should know this by now. How long you been ridin' your new glide?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I've got less than 2000 miles on the Glide due to business commitments, rain and of course, parenting duties. The rubbermounts are pretty good at keeping the parts from flinging off. I put 35,000 miles on my Dyna Low Rider and managed to keep it together.

Remember when Honda changed the Shadow to a single pin crank to make it shake more and then switched back to the old crank after a couple of years? With the price of Honda parts, you don't want too many of them flinging off!

"You think Harleys are expensive? Try dropping a Honda!"

·
Registered
150 Posts
That is great to honor Trev and it sounds like rubber mounting the engine is a good start.

But why waste money on a liquid cooled pushrod/OHV engine when they just finished designing the V-rod motor? This is the first time I've heard this rumor but I don't follow HD/Buell so whatever.

Can't they work on down-sizing the V-Rod engine and hopefully end up with a better product? Seems like at least the Buell fans have been expecting this for a long time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm not to sure about this Trevster bike. In fact, even though there is a Trevster in the Trev Deeley Motorcycle Museum, it is some old prototype and nothing indicative of what one would expect from the Motor Company. I believe that we will see a revamped Sportster with the Buell type engine with the fuel injection. It will more than likely be rubber mounted like the Buells but it most likely won't be festooned with the monicker, "The Trevster".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.