Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
"I'm not being politically correct"

OK, I'm going to get slammed for being a pedantic ****, and I won't argue. But it's a pet peeve, so it's worth the abuse.

"Politically correct" isn't just a synonym for "inoffensive". It means "conforming to orthodox left-wing thought." That's why the "political" part is in there. I forget who coined the phrase, but he was writing about the difficulty conservatives have in getting hired or securing tenure at colleges because of their "politically incorrect" views.

If you say, "Choppers are dumb", that is neither politically incorrect nor politically correct.

If you say, "Choppers are dumber than white-male Republican Christian Bush-voters," that is politically correct.

If you say, "Choppers are dumber than (insert racial minority group here)", that is politically incorrect.

(note that I'm not advocating any of those positions, just illustrating correct usage of the phrase.)

Flame away...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
To be fair, I'd have to balance it with, "Choppers are dumber than fans of that fact-raping dwarf star who's three cheeseburgers away from collapsing into a singularity, Michael Moore."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.