Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sean says: It sounds like an excellent way to make a Goldwing handle like crap. If those guys can't notice how much their handling is affected, then they shouldn't be riding in the first place.

MO Says: Sounds just funky enough to be a perfect MO test!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Motorcycle Online Tests Car Tire on Gold Wing

That's something I'd like to see! If you guys do something that different and interesting, you could become the Car and Driver of motorcycle mags.

In 1964, C and D did a head-to-head comparo between the Ferrari GTO and the Pontiac GTO. They've road tested Greyhound buses and earth movers. They had Stirling Moss slide a Kenworth around a NASCAR track about a decade before anybody thought of truck racing. They've been doing that kind of wacky ***** on a regular basis for decades, and they have how many *million* subscribers now? Seems to be a market for that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: The MO Gold Wing Car Tire Reader Challenge!

So here's the scenario. MO visits a few Gold Wing and Valkyrie forums and throws down the gauntlet.

MO rents a track, and the guys with flat-earth tires on their Wings do timed laps against you MOfolkers on a stock Wing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It works on the GW's thinner sister-The Valkyrie

I have 13 K on a Goodyear Eagle tire and I have lost count of how many hundreds of my fellow VRCC (Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club) members have successfully mounted car tires on their Valks. We have been doing it for several years with thousands of safe, enjoyable miles. There are some trade offs, as the tires "wander" a bit at parking lot speeds and on uneven pavement, but the straight line stability, comfort and traction in wet and dry weather is amazing. A few have tried them and gone back, but the majority say they will never go back to a bike tire.

I would say that the Gold Wing guys got the idea from us, but who knows. I am open-minded to trying new things, but other people are threatened by change. Several in our own club predicted all of the car tire guys (known as the "dark-siders") would die some awful, fiery death when we first started experimenting with them.

But all of us are still here :)

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I was wondering who would be first to state the obvious.

How about fitting some BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Radials? Run a GW on the Baja!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: It works on the GW's thinner sister-The Valkyrie

Compared to a decent motorcycle sport touring tire, exactly how does this thing handle in entering tight corners, side to side transitions, etc.? I'd think it would be awful, but maybe that's just my imagination.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

They have plenty of time to laugh at us from the que at the unemployment office....

·
Registered
93 Posts

Umm... How much traction do you have when the bike is leaned over? If you only go in a straight line a car tire might work, but if you lean the bike more than a few degrees you'll be riding on the sidewall. So now you have a bike that can't really lean. Why don't you just drive a car?

I've heard about people putting car tires on Goldwings and Valkyries before, but I thought it was an April Fool's joke. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

·
Registered
473 Posts
get real ...

the next logical step is to put a dunlop motorcycle tire on the front my camry to see if it'll pop a wheelie ...

really, folks, this is not rocket science. square-edge tires on motorcycles are a bad idea.

you might be able to get away with it most of the time. but under emergency conditions, where you have to maneuver out of a life/death situation, it could cost you your life to have that "cool" looking car tire on your scoot.

get real.

to MO ... please do a road test of a car tire setup so we can put this issue to rest before someone gets their fool self killed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

[/URL]

Good catch

This guy sure does enough miles to have an opinion.. Says he can still drag pegs, but how much lean does it take to drag the pegs of a Valkyrie? I'm betting the car tire couldn't handle the lean angle of even a Suzuki bandit enough to put a peg down without getting squirelly, much less something that could really lean.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.