Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: It works on the GW's thinner sister-The Valkyrie

Umm... How much traction do you have when the bike is leaned over? If you only go in a straight line a car tire might work, but if you lean the bike more than a few degrees you'll be riding on the sidewall. So now you have a bike that can't really lean. Why don't you just drive a car?

I've heard about people putting car tires on Goldwings and Valkyries before, but I thought it was an April Fool's joke. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: get real ...

Do his miles override the knowledge and experience of motorcycle and tire designers?

Motorcycle handling is very susceptible to even minor changes in tire profile, tread, and compound. The guy from that web link above says that himself - he says that one of the problems with bike tires is that whenever he installed tires from a different brand, he would have to get used to dramatically different handling. So a slightly different tire has an unacceptably large difference in handling. But he puts a car tire on his bike and gets used to it in 1/4 mile? Anyone smell something weird here?

People who do this sort of crazy stuff seem to say that longer tire life is a big advantage of using car tires. Well, guess what? Car tires last longer because they use harder rubber and as a result have significantly less grip than motorcycle tires. With just 2 wheels keeping your butt off the asphalt, that doesn't seem like a smart tradeoff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.