Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And as a further comment I can only agree with the comment about longer lasting vehicles. When I first started in the parts biz everyone stocked a good supply of engine parts. Not any more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have replaced the head gaskets on 4 Japanese cars in the last year. All 4 cylinder engines, two Hondas, a Mazda 626, and a Mitsubishi Mirage. All with over 200,000 miles. None of them showed significant cylinder wear. The only thing they needed were new head gaskets, which were disintegrating.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife's 1.8 Ltr A4 Audi is now with 180.000 km and no signs of tear in whatsoever part, engine, brakes, suspension (shocks lastet 150.000 km). Everything idworking just fine.

Sold an Mithubishi Carisma Diesel with 310.000 km faultless.

Sold a 650 Honda NTV with 125.000 km that never give any problem. An 750 VFR went the same way.

This is so very true.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I recently helped a friend who does a lot of iron butt ralleys rebuild his FJR1300. Right after break in he ran Motul oil. He left the enginer bone cold stock. After 100k when we pulled the engine apart it looked brand new! Goes to show if you use good gas, good oil and don't mess with it just maybe those engineers know what they are doing.. :)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Then why does my father in-laws 1957 Mercedes 220 S. have over 800,000 miles on it and it still runs (albeit slowly)? Hmmm?

And why then does my old ratty DT1 never seem to wear out? And it's a two stroke, the dirty of dirty?

And way does my 1950 King-O-Lawn start on the first pull? And not smoke one lil' bit?

M-A-I-N-T-E-N-A-N-C-E!

Please....new stuff sucks. Except Buells of course. But they're not really new, are they?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: M-A-I-N-T-E-N-A-N-C-E!

Yep, mscuddy ([email protected]), maintenance is the key.

For example, I've been using the same hammer for over 50 years. I've replaced the handle a time or two, and I put a new head on it a couple of times, but I've used the same hammer day in and day out for 50 years!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm an old guy who has been there, done that. Iginition points required constant adjustment, carbs drifted off as deposits built up, spark plugs lasted a few oil changes.

The new is way, way, way better. End of story.

·
Registered
352 Posts
uh.. did you read the article?

it says new cars run longer with out needing a engine rebuild! = less maintence!

of course anything can run for any number of miles with maintenace, that wasn't the point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a good thing they last longer - when I was a teenager I thought nothing of swapping engines between cars - one look under the hood of my wife's Accord Hybrid and I know my mechanic is going to make some $$ servicing it.

As for bikes the two stroke twins of my youth seemed to have a Mean Time Between Re-bore of about 10,000 miles. Hopefully my new Buell XB12X will be much better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I believe I agree with mikenomad on this one. (hah! one of my fav comic strips. Didn't the newpaper guy drive a Bond era Aston Martin?)

But are our mc techs up to the challenge? I have my doubts, at least in this town. Your experience may vary.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I believe advances in metallurgy, better engineering, and synthetic oil has at least as much to do with longevity as EPA restrictions. Motors built in the old days had cobby castings, poor metal quality, and sloppy tolerances. Build the same motor with modern metals and better assembly techniques and it lasts 3 times longer. Think Panhead to TwinCam and you get the picture.

·
Registered
640 Posts
And I'm sure that there are a few 90+ year old smokers out there who have seemingly beat the odds. Very few. Why do you suppose that Methuselah, Moses and some of those other Bible characters lived for hundreds of years. It was because the environment was free of the chemicals and crap that we now breathe, eat and drink.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.