Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcyclists would be expected to stop at the light for an appropriate period of time and look in all directions, he said.

Oh yeah, that's gonna happen.

I don't even want to think of what's really gonna happen. Especially with those guys who ride with nothing on but shorts and tennies. Are helmets required in TN?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Snap, talk about your gray areas. Seems to me that Mrs. Harper doesn't think the citizens of her state have much in the way of common sense. Sounds like on of those "keep-making-laws-until-the-world-is-perfect" morons. And no, I would never confuse her with a MOron.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reminds me why the state color is orange:

Play football for the Vols on Saturday.......

Go huntin' on Sunday..........

And go back to pickin' up trash on the roadside on Monday.......

Without ever changin' clothes!!!!

Yea, I know it's an old joke but sometimes you gotta recycle 'em.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If a light fails to sense the presence of my bike then I consider it to be malfunctioning, in which case the appropriate thing to do is to treat it like a stop sign look both ways and then proceed. I live in Georgia where we pay extremely high uninsured motorist premiums, because a neighboring state (Tennessee) does NOT require basic liability insurance, so be extra careful when you proceed through that intersection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely correct. CW printed a letter to the editor I wrote several years ago regarding this issue.

Since part of a triggered light's intended function is to detect vehicles, if it does not sense your licensed, road legal vehicle, it is by definition malfunctioning. I've not reviewed road regulations in all states, but in those I've lived, and I believe this is universal, if a traffic light is malfunctioning you are to treat it like a stop sign.

What made no sense in the article was the amendment that a light failing to trigger would not be a 'defense'. This flies in the face of tradition and common sense.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reminds me why the state color is orange:

Play football for the Vols on Saturday.......

Go huntin' on Sunday..........

And go back to pickin' up trash on the roadside on Monday.......

Without ever changin' clothes!!!!

Yea, I know it's an old joke but sometimes you gotta recycle 'em.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Funny, I thought you could 'right turn on red' in most states (stop first, of course). I'm in New England, and I can't think of any around here where you can't now-a-days. And we just got 65MPH speed limits a few years ago!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Finally...

·
Registered
28 Posts
You pay high uninsured rates because you probably still have 40% of drivers without, despite the law. In TN we DO HAVE to have liability insurance, so don't blame that lame excuse.

Mandatory insurance laws are ineffective anyway. The last three states I've lived in TX, LA, TN have all had mandatory laws and they still have over 30% uninsured motorists. There are laws against drunk driving too, that never stopped anybody.

Kyle

PS, not sure why we had to have the written into law, cuz I and most motorcyclists I know treat non-sensing lights like a stop light anyway. Not during high traffic times though, I'll usually just sit and wait. Sunday morning different story though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The funniest (or most ignorant for sure) part is that motorcycles don't have enough metal and are made of a lot of plastic. Wouldn't that be motorcycles are not made of heavy magnetic materials, but typically lightweight aluminum (duh, non-magnetic). Darn if we just had mild steel spoked wheels, iron engine cases, etc. we wouldn't have to "run" red lights.

So how come plastic cars like Saturns and Vette's (I know they're glass) don't have a hard time since they have more plastic than your typical bike?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.