Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of silence out there.

Could it be that no MOFOers had the bad taste to actually buy one? Or the economic bad judgement?

If a Rune falls off it's sidestand in the middle of a forest, is it still ugly?

LOL!

·
Registered
36 Posts
MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

for the International Motorcycle show. I have a feeling that not as many people would drop 26K on a Rune as would on a Harley or some Eye-talian exotica.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The two honda dealers in my area said they had their Runes sold before the bikes ever reached the showroom. They had some sort of deal that they had to stay on display for 3 months or so, but after that they disappeared.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

Why not? Rather than some cookie cutter bike with a couple of different chrome pieces, you get a unique bike that you dont see driving down the road everyday.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
There was one at Honda-Suzuki of Salt Lake last month. It disappeared last week.

The salesguy wasn't very happy when I stood there pointing at it while laughing uproariously. I couldn't help it. It's about the silliest looking thing this side of a BMW1200C.

The salesguy did say it got "mixed reactions".

I'd rather put 26K on a Mini-Cooper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to work for Honda Canada head office and I still have some dealer friends and they wish they could get more Runes. Price is not an issue they say. As with 99% of motorcyclists that I know, Rune buyers want something no body else does and they want to be noticed.

If there was an unlimited supply they would run into trouble but demand still seems to be outstripping supply. Most dealers still are getting over MSRP in many cases and there are wait lists.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
No wait lists here

I can buy a Rune at my local Honda dealer 2 blocks from my house. Been sitting there for 3 months and he's discounting. Give me the name of someone on a wait list and he can buy this one right now.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've seen several on the road in N and NW GA. Even saw one in a smaller town. Pretty small sample size, but at least a few have been seen.

As for looks, depends on the eye of the beholder. I see a custom built for Buzz Lightyear by the well know custom builder, Captain Nemo. Others like it.

Memo to some: that you don't like it means the following - zip, zero, nada.

Same goes for me.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
I agree it's amazing. But maybe not for the same reasons.

I love odd bizarre motorcycles. Runes, 1200Cs, West Coast Choppers.... the riders themselves.

Good cheap entertainment.

And just wait 'til the Rune owners start decking them out like the Wingers do. We can have an award for the Most Gauche Bike of the Year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good choice! I bought a Mini Cooper for around $26,000.00. Too bad it's so hard to keep it at that price though. Super chargers don't come cheap!

Ducati Foggy Monster Man

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Illinois

There's still one on the center platform in the DGY Motorsports showroom in Downer's Grove IL.

It didn't have a sold tag, and some of the sales guys talked about the bike with a vague disinterest, as though they wondered why anyone would want to buy the bike.

Personally, I think it's kind of groovy, at least as something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

I guess it depends on what you ride for. If you're riding to be seen then poser value is post important. If you're riding for the pure enjoyment of the experience of being on a MOTORCYCLE then it's how the bike answers the questions the rider wants answered: Will I get through this decreasing radious turn? I wonder if I can make it 200 miles to the next gas stop? Can I put a trailer hitch on this thing? I wonder how many gears I could carry the wheel in the air?

·
Registered
118 Posts

Poser value does appear to trump anything else, look at how many Harleys you see on the road. People surely dont buy those for handling, performance, gas mileage, or popping wheelies.

People buy the name.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It was a limited run and all were sold. They wanted a coveted halo-model - and were pretty successfull at that.

Looks like their strategy is getting more desireability to their brand, like VW with the Phaeton.

Myself I thinks if they want to go after that kind of market they'd be better off with a new luxury brand (like Toyota did with Lexus). On the other hand their bread really comes from all kinds of bikes. I'm sure they counted the beans pretty acura-tely.

- cruiz-euro

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.