Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 82' yamaha seca 400 is running rich. I had it running for about 5 minutes and it started to sputter, wouldn't take any throttle response and then it died. kept doing this every time i started it until now it just wont start. I pulled the plugs and they are black at the end. I assume this is running rich. I'm learning as I go on the mechanics of this bike so anyone know how to fix this problem? I though carb adjustment until i realized i have no idea how to adjust the carbs on it.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, it's really hard to give advice. Has it been sitting a long time? Could be any number of things. The carbs might need cleaning. The best thing you could do would be to get a manual.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Rich?

Easy fix - Institute Taxes, Tariffs, and misc. Fees, and soon-enough it will be Rich no-longer.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You could always buy a boat.... the people I know that have boats are constantly throwing money at them 'specially sail boats, my bud has a 40 footer with a 350 GM motor and teak decks...beautiful boat but man that thing eats money like there's no tomorrow....just to haul it out of the water and clean barnacles and change the zinc's is costing him $85 a day in dry dock fees...Couldn't f'n believe it, him and his wife sailed it up the inside passage to Alaska last year and it cost them a fortune...you think wind is free but you need the motor for electricity and gas up there's around $6.00 a gallon in places....If you don't want to be rich buy a boat !

As for your bike, soot on the plugs could be anything from a stuck choke to mice in the airbox. You need to ensure the airbox, filter and ducting is clear going into the carb, the choke is operating properly and the plugs and coil are good. Basically sooty plugs indicate a weak spark or excess fuel/insufficient air. The insufficient air and weak sparks are pretty easy to check so start there before you go tearing stuff apart..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to be flooding the carb. I opened up the top of the carbs though and it looks like brand spanking new in there it's so clean. I had it running earlier this year, rode it around the block had it sit there running for a while no problems. Had to repair my tank so it's sat for about two and half maybe three weeks. Now I put the tank on and it's acting up. Air box is clean along with the filter. and the plugs looked fine last fall before it was stored. And it seems to have good spark. It's definately flooding itself, it runs fine at first and gradually starts to sputter and choke until it stalls then it just doesn't want to restart until I give it a few hours or the next day.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
It seems to be flooding the carb. I opened up the top of the carbs though and it looks like brand spanking new in there it's so clean. I had it running earlier this year, rode it around the block had it sit there running for a while no problems. Had to repair my tank so it's sat for about two and half maybe three weeks. Now I put the tank on and it's acting up. Air box is clean along with the filter. and the plugs looked fine last fall before it was stored. And it seems to have good spark. It's definately flooding itself, it runs fine at first and gradually starts to sputter and choke until it stalls then it just doesn't want to restart until I give it a few hours or the next day.
There is crud in the float needle-valve(s) in the bowl on the bottom of the carb.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Take off the float bowls and you'll see the float. hanging at the bottom of the float is a little thing that has a cone at the bottom. This is the needle; the place it goes into is the seat. There's something cluttering up that needle or its seat. Look at it, rinse it out if necessary, and make sure there is nothing else on the seat or needle, or in the float bowls in general.

It doesn't take much to gum up a carb -- the "particle" may be almost invisible. So look closely!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The two best days of a boat owners life: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.
I've see quite a few of them over the years in Utah. They buy boats to float around at Flaming Gorge, mainly. Some go all the way to Lake Powell. They usually are really enthusiastic at first. Then the reality of constant $ drain sets in and they get tired of paying $2 extra per gallon to fill the things on the lake and the outdrive goes and that costs $$$ to fix and the kids get bored with it and the next thing you know their $15,000 boat is sitting with a sign on it and they are lucky to get $5,000.

Just think of a boat as a second job that you have to pay them for working.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Just think of a boat as a second job that you have to pay them for working.
A Boat is defined as "A hole in the Water you pour your money-into.........."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cleaned up the floats, added some carb cleaner changed the plugs. It ran for a couple minutes, really choppy and slow (has no tach couldn't tell the rpms) ran with choke off finally but at even the slightest bit of throttle it stalled. and after a couple minutes it stalled on it's own and wouldn't stay running. Pulled out the new plugs, they look shiney on the tips, some sort of fluid on them already. any ideas?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Try pulling a spark plug, place it back in the lead and lay the @ss end of the plug against the cylinderhead while cranking the engine.You should see a bright white/bluish spark. If the spark is weak then you might have a problem with the wires or coil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well turns out after cleaning the carbs it helps to plug the spark plug wire back on when you try to run it again. did that and viola she runs like a charm again. we'll see for how long though. but thanks alot for the help. seems cleaning up the floats and needles may have done the trick. Next year new bike, but since I've never ridden before I'd rather learn on the 82 and drop it a few times rather then a nice new one with expensive plastics

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You are Wise, my son...............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.