Motorcycle Forums banner

Rust in Motorcycle Gas Tank: What to Do? What to Do?

13K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  flipb 
#1 ·
#8 ·
??? I've used it a few times with good results. Perhaps just use the acid prep if you you don't like the coating. It does take the rust out.

There's another product out there that is supposed to work even better, but the name escapes me right now.

#9 ·
If you follow the instructions TO THE LETTER, and coat every bit of the inside including the inside of the filler-neck and the pet*****-nipple, it will last. I have a tank that was Kreem'd over Seven Years ago - absolutely NO problems with it. Even if I have trouble THIS year, I'll just get another kit and recoat it.

That said, on a tank of more than 2-3 gallons, you might consider an extra bottle of the sealant (even though they advertise a kit will do a 4-gallon tank, I would have liked to make the coating a bit thicker and would have bought an extra bottle if I'd known).

There are other products as well - I've had friends use POR-15 with excellent results (if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!! dammit!)

;^D

#10 ·
Or, just enrich the OEM and buy a New Tank.

#13 ·
I have used "Kreem" with mixed results. Results are dependent on how well you follow directions and how meticulous you are. I score low on both counts so I now send my tanks to a radiator repair shop to coat. There's one in Pennsylvanisa that specializes in tanks ; they advertise in Walneck's. Some local shops will also do it...check around.

#17 ·
The easy way out: Take them to a radiator repair shop and have them "dip" the tanks. Should only be a few dollars per tank. That will take care of the rust. Then use the sealer of your choice.

#19 ·
Leave it to cruiz-euro to get to the Heart of the Problem.......

#24 ·
That painted surface becomes "ready for paint" - i.e. a NON-painted surface...........

#25 ·
I've a friend who has a favored expression; "When a person says 'Trust Me', what they're ACTUALLY saying is 'Fcuk You', as that's what they intend."

;^D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.