Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, like with helmet laws, I guess we'll have to force the owners of these bikes to act more responsibly because they are causing me to have to pay more money to cover their medical bills. 85hp top limits and speed regulation down to 85mph must be enforced.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
About the 5th paragraph down says it all, this class is "especially popular with those younger than 30"

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Heck, my bike couldn't be safer! Only way I could get hurt on it is if I fall off and hit my workbench on the way down.

But seriously, has anyone looked at the IIHS study? I'm curious what defines "Supersport", "Sport" and "Sport-unclad". And does the non-DOT helmet number include no hat at all?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually, this gem from the article raises a few eyebrows:
"Seventy-one percent of supersport riders who died in crashes in 2005 wore helmets, compared with 52 percent of touring bike riders."
Pg. 6, Status Report, Vol.42, No. 9, Sept. 11, 2007

Those unfortunate supersport riders died much more safely.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
This Is An Outrage!

This is the most biased, unethical, illogical, and absurd report I have ever read! While slandering the sportbike community (of which I am NOT a member, BTW), this report's own statistics reveal their propagandaist lies:

Sport bike deaths in 2000: 10.8% per 10,000
Sport bike deaths in 2005: 10.8% per 10,000 - a NET DECREASE!

Supersport bike deaths in 2000: 22.6% per 10.000
Supersport bike deaths in 2005: 22.5% per 10,000 - a NET DECREASE!

Total deaths 2000: 7.1% 2005: 7.5%, AN INCREASE OF LESS THAN 1/2 A PERCENT, EVEN THOUGH TOTAL REGISTRATIONS ROSE BY 3.2 MILLION BIKES!

Adding to this outrage is their contention that sportbikes are 4X more dangerous than all other bikes. Yet, where is the largest single increase in deaths by motorcycle catagory?

Touring bike deaths in 2000: 5.3% per 10,000
Touring bike deaths in 2005: 6.5% per 10,000

While every other catagory either went down or rose only a fraction of a percent, TOURING BIKE deaths rose over 1%!!

Motorcycle.com, if you're reading this, I urge you to get in front of this pack of liars and challenge them. No research required, their own statistics show this is just a propaganda move. You need to represent us!

Motorcycle manufacturers: HEY STUPID, how about dropping the ads showing the guy dragging his knee pucks through the neighborhood, stopping just before he hits the kid's toy in the driveway. How about dropping the stupid race references so notably pointed out in this study? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...it's like Absolute Vodka running a campaign for a new "Car Friendly Sippy Bottle - Easy to Stash Under the Seat at DUI Checkpoints - No Spills."

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
"This is the most biased, unethical, illogical, and absurd report I have ever read! While slandering the sportbike community (of which I am NOT a member, BTW), this report's own statistics reveal their propagandaist lies:"

Apparently the IIHS is campaigning for their next budget cycle, ya'think?

I thought the "Average age" in the various classes was interesting:

CRUISERS - Riders typically are about 45

STANDARDS - average driver is 39.

SUPERSPORTS are consumer versions of racing motorcycles. The average age of a sport bike driver is 39.

UNCLAD SPORT - average rider is about 38.

TOURING - popular among riders in their mid-40s.

SCOOTERS - average age of a scooter driver is 48.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Dammit, I can't edit (still!)

I was going to point out that, if we accept that the preponderance of fatalities is of young guys wadding up "Supersports", the "Average" age of 39 suggests there are a lot of old guys riding "Supersports" that are not crashing.

Ah, statistics! Ya gotta love 'em!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.