Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Sauber Petronas Three-Cylinder Motor May Have Few Takers

Isn't this just a slightly weak news article? "For information, go somewhere else." I don't read Cycle World for them to just say "Go read Motorcyclist." Do some research. Call Sauber. Be reporters. I'll donate money then.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think it's wonderful that MO is not scared to point offsite to other e-zines that have information before them, it shows a lot of integrity and guts to admit, via a link, that you've been beaten to a hot news item. I commend them for this, and wish they'd do it more -- it's nice to have a staff of people filtering through all the garbage online and pointing to only the stuff that's really good.

While I'm ranting, I'd like to see MO do more bike reviews, and if they can't, point off-site to the best bike reviews they find of the bikes they haven't or will not test this year.

They're probably getting sick of listening to people whine about the free service, so people like you only hasten the demise of FreeMO. So get a grip and quit crying like a baby!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Perhaps my original post was a little harsher than it needed to be, but I was in a hurry to post before some idiot "first poster" got in there.

As for the valid point that MO is free, I would like to point out that Motorcycle Daily is free as well, but they had the time to actually write an original news article, not post a link or rehash a press release.

I'm more than willing to pay for good writing and reporting. That's why I read several of the print magazines every month. MO's recent Open-Class and 600 shootouts convince me they can do it as well as anybody. This particular "news article" was just a little weak is all.

And don't call me a baby! I'm not a baby! I'm not! I'm not! I'm not! Waaaaaaah!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I don't get the "first post" thing, it's annonying, so I siged up an account just so I can try and be first poster, maybe with something more intelligent than "first post!"

I agree with ZeroWait, I wish MO would post more stuff like this, it would be great to have them "filtering" more news items.

It seems they're so wrapped up with bike reviews that they ignore the news site, I guess they don't have the time/resources/money/staff to keep up with news things. All the more reason to throw in the towel and post more links to other people that have interesting stuff. News is kinda, well, lacking as it is.

MO, please don't moderate me down to a "Dipstick" I'm only trying to help!

·
Registered
26 Posts

Hey...! Leave MO alone. I’m the one that told them where the link was, and I think is awesome that they have enough integrity and professionalism, to just point you to a competitors WebPage.

Of course they could’ve done some research and publish they story as their own, but that would’ve take time, and you would‘ve been the one loosing, because you wouldn’t have find out about this news until later.

Besides, they are not the first, nor the last, to quote from other publications. Everybody does it. Even when writing scientific papers.

So shout up. Stop complaining. And try to make more productive comments.

M.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Exocet (is that as in the cruise missile?) I have to disagree with you. MO posts new news articles very regularly... I have to admit that a lot of them aren't interesting to me, so I don't read them, but I believe that they put out way more than print magazines, if you look at their volume per month.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I didn't mean to sound harsh, or negative! This posting stuff can be so impersonal!

You're correct, they do post more than the print mags can/do print, and it's nice to get daily stuff instead of once per month. The point I was trying to make is that, at least to me, a lot of the news stuff they do is, well, boring, and if they'd just start linking off-site to anything and everything interesting, I think the news site would be a lot better (more posts = something interesting every day), and maybe less work.

I don't know what their work schedule is like, but it'd be nice to see any extra time put into bike reviews and product reviews...

Exocet was a nickname an old boyfriend of mine had, he had this funny little Renault that he really liked, and R5 Turbo2 or something like that. He wasn't that nice, but I the car was cute, so when I started riding motorcycles, I swiped his nickname.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oops .. link not working .. pasted story here

Stock GSX-R1000 humbles works superbikes at Le Mans

15 Apr 2001

IT might be a fluke, or it might be a taste of things to come in World

Superbikes, but at the Le Mans 24-Hour race in France this weekend a

near-stock Suzuki GSX-R1000 took the win ahead of full-on works

Superbikes in the famous race.

The bike, ridden by Frenchmen Christophe Guyot, Sebastien Scarnato,

Nicolas Dussauge, raced in the "junior" SuperProduction class in which

bikes can only be slightly altered from stock - but it not only cleaned up in its own class, it managed to take the overall win ahead of the works

Honda VTR1000 SP-1.

The Honda was ahead for most of the race until a clutch problem saw it

lose the lead in the pits, and though it was slowly able to peg the bigger

bike back on track, the Guyot team clawed back any riding losses through

better pit work. It notched up 759 laps in total, to the Honda's 758. Another GSX-R came third, that of the Suzuki France works team with former

world champion Scotland's Brian Morisson aboard.

Guyot said: "This is incredible. We just wanted this to be practice for the

Bol d'Or later in the year, so we can't believe it. This is like David versus Goliath…"

The GSX-R has emerged as the bike of choice for many teams in

endurance racing since its recent introduction coincided with the

introduction of the new SuperProduction class, including reigning world

champions Britain's Phase One who retired from the race with an

electrical problem late on Saturday might.

And though many of the gaggle of GSX-R which started the race retired,

it is still an incredible achievement that a privateer team with a showroom

bike can beat the works Honda team which won the race last year.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Uh... let's not be too easy on either one. I personally posted something about Sauber when they had the "Who will have the fastest 4-stroke" question over a month ago. Give your props to Cycle News and Motorcyclist for covering this last month when it broke that Sauber would even field a team.

The problem with no more free MO is they are becoming the garbage online by doing things like not finishing shootouts for no aparent reason and suddenly using only 3 testers on a major shootout and then having some strange and weak reasons for said shootout. Yes, they're not afraid to point us to these other sites... but how long do they figure we'll keep coming back only to be re-directed elsewhere for news. And let's not even get into them not even posting a PICTURE of the new Yamaha 4-stroke in action, while other sites already have downloadable film of it. All this and no charge... imagine that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Australian Motor Cycle News suggested that this engine design was simply stolen from an Australian designer who does npt have the finances to do anything about this...maybe MO can get to the bottom of this rumour and and give us a world first news story.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts

Your incessant whining is old.

Do you think you can knock it off for even a week?

Do you think that if we didn't have record numbers of readers in March (with April shaping up to be a new record), we wouldn't be doing things drastically different? It saddens me that you post like you know so much about running a magazine, when in fact you don't. So, knock it off now, or go away and leave MO and the 99.999% of readers here that don't want to wade through your complaining alone.

Little known fact: MO started reader feedback six and a half years ago. Two years after that, we had to pull the plug because the small fraction of a percentage of aggressive whiners and flamers were constantly causing havoc, enough so that none of the reasonable people wanted to post. It's hard enough to get the rational people to post, but nearly impossible when they just don't want to be involved with the constant negitivism and flaming that takes over. Which leaves us with only the whiners posting, and we're getting there again.

Haga, you show brief flashes of clarity of thought, try and get back to that and stop the .

·
Registered
3 Posts

Can't MO do something about the negativity in your own forums? The post above was my first in four years of reading MO. That's a long time to lurk at one site, and I think this'll be my last. I didn't mean to start another off-topic complaint session, but it seems even the "reasonable" people are drawn in by the flamers.

I don't understand why you don't just bounce the bad apples so we all can get on with discussions about motorcycles. I, for one, am sick of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Could Aprilla be a taker???

Formula 1 uses the most advanced (and expansive) engine technology in the world, so this engine must be very competent and powerful. But don't forget that the Honda has achieved 5 consecutive Drivers' World Championships (4 championships with brazilian drivers, "Go Alexandre Barros!!!") and 6 consecutive Constructors' World Championships in F-1. So Honda has the F-1 experience and motorcycle experience.

If you want to know more about Honda-F1 go to:

www.hondaf1.com

and

www.hondaf1.com/english/news/statistics.htm

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nothing New Under the Sun, Dept.

No - the air assisted valves aren't a first.

The 1908 Ackrington Scrote Wobbler 800cc V-Twin had them, and upside down forks, and monoshock rear, and fuel injection, and DOHC, and Water cooling.
Honest!!

And as for posting a link to another site for the full story - HEY GUYS, this is the WEB, the NET as in LINKS - That's how it works around here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.