Motorcycle Forums banner

'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

25K views 112 replies 48 participants last post by  Fenton 
Which views he expressed are ignorant?

"His ingorant views are held by a vast majority of the populous"

Which views he expressed are ignorant? That he doesn’t feel you need to have access to a 200mph capable vehicle for use on public roads? Seems a very sensible view to me.

"Except that the federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate"

The courts seem to think otherwise.

"Lots of things cause far more harm than sport bikes"

Sure, but that’s hardly a reason not to ban sports bikes. Legislation will follow what folks demand. A lot of motorcyclists out there are doing their best to have bikes banned, and they’re going to succeed.

"regulatory fascists need to stay (the f**k) out of peoples' lives"

Sure thing, but then many motorcycles invade folk’s lives by creating hazardous situations on public roads. I pay taxes and I vote. Why should I allow my child’s life to be put in danger each time she crosses the street to go to the store?

I am assuming you meant to say there are more SUV’s than motorcycles? Yes, that is very true. Not sure what your point is though.

I have not seen an SUV travel at 100mph on a road kids have to cross. I see motorcycles do that often. Get my drift?

I have no hassle with the bikers (helmeted or not) that keep within speed limits and not endanger others. I strongly suspect the vast majority of (voting) Americans feel the same. Sadly a minority of people is acting in a way that is going to cause the majority to force them to comply.

Re: Which views he expressed are ignorant?

"Just wondering, what is sensible?"

No need to wonder, the government (either state or federal) will make a unilateral decision on what is sensible and what is not sensible. Unfortunately we cannot look to either the motorcycling community or manufacturers to impose a mutually agreed upon limit to prevent this. Legislation will be forced upon us because of imbeciles that do not have the presence of mind to moderate their behavior.

"Laws don't prevent accidents, people do."

So how will you have a motorcycle accident if you cannot ride one? Best you’ll be able to do is go out make a motorcar accident, which I believe is a lot safer. A lot of folks out there are eager to help you be safe.

"if he were as concerned about public welfare as he claims, he would have called for the ban of Corvettes in that column"

Well he won’t because he probably owns one himself. Most people are to small to see the error of their own actions; which is why the majority of posters here do not consider exceeding speed limits as wrong, nor do they think owning a 200mph motorcycle for road use as irresponsible.

"And he mostly skirts the real point, which is stupid behavior"

No, I believe he is saying owning and operating a 200mph motor vehicle on public roads is stupid behavior. I think he is quite right.

Re: Kill Ratio

Sure, but kill ratios of SUV’s do not invalidate the arguments set forth in the article. Many motorcyclists have not got the presence of mind to realize they are engaging in irresponsible behavior that is going to cost all motorcyclists. In fact many feel incensed by the fact that their puerile behavior is rightly coined as such.

I have read a few posters responses to the article. You do the same as I rest my case.

"Nobody remembers the majority who ride reasonably."

True, and added to that, nobody forgets the irresponsible asshat.

"It's a perception that we as a community need to turn around."

That can only be done by eliminating the riders who ride irresponsibly. No amount of responsible riding can eliminate the perception caused by even a single asshat that rides irresponsibly.

"but don't simply dismiss him as a moron"

Nope, he is going to make bus riders out of all of us. Unfortunately the majority on this board has dismissed (and underestimated) him already.

"Well, uh, gee, what do you think a federal court (often with a judge who has a lifetime appointment from the executive branch) is going to say. The Constitution is clear; the courts are confused and unaccountable."

I am sure you have some point …

"Your child is statistically much more endangered by thousands of other things besides sportbikes."

Like your opinion pertaining to what is safe or unsafe for my child matters?

"if someone is endangering someone else, we have laws and remedies for it,"

Yes we have. Unfortunately some folks choose ignore those laws.

"but Easterbrook's column is about banning things as a kneejerk reaction based on emotion."

Not sure what the absurdity of a 200mph capable motorcycle for public roads has to do with emotion.

"Not only is it stupid (and ineffectual), it's unconstitutional"

It is very effective, it has been read by many thousands (who do vote) and simply because you consider it your constitutional right to have access to a 200mph capable motor vehicle for use on public roads does not make it so.

According to Easterbrook's way of thinking , we should ban all small Toyota's?

Really? Can the Toyota top out close to 200mph? No? Oh? Does it out accelerate a Corvette? No? So maybe you’re talking about your interpretation of Easterbrooks thinking. Maybe you need to read the article again …

Re: Which views he expressed are ignorant?

Nope, I do not endorse any legislative restriction on any part of our lives, being motorcycles, guns, right of association etc. etc.

"I hope that the imbeciles you speak of do moderate their behavior"

Not likely

"the imbeciles who endorse legislating away irresponsiblity lose their ability to enact or enforce legislation."

Also not likely

"I'll say it again... Divide that 200 mph figure by 2.. now you have 100 mph. Is this absurd? You can't just pick a number without any justification."

Not sure what you are saying

"Is the justification that the Hayabusa that Ben was riding can approach 200 mph?"

Ditto

"The emotional part of the column is the reaction to the Hayabusa"

Sure, and that’s how laws get passed i.e like Jessie’s law, - molesting kids have always been wrong, but Jessies law only came once it became personal (i.e. emotional)

"but is it any worse than a vehicle that only reaches 80 mph?"

Absolutely. Lots of data available on correlation between speed and increased accidents.

"What would someone say to a Hayabusa limited to 60 mph with the same acceleration? Is it more safe because it has a lower top speed?"

Absolutely

"How about a 500 hp Z06 with nearly the same acceleration, is it more safe? Would one have a good chance of surviving a top speed crash in a Z06?"

Also bad. However, it is rather childish to offset one evil by referring to another. Both busas and 500hp corvettes should not be allowed on public roads.

"Singling out one type of vehicle based on little other than conjecture makes little sense, especially when one is doing so in legislation."

No conjecture about the Busas speed. That is fact (albeit sometimes numbers are quoted incorrectly)

"While we're at it, let's add side impact airbags to Corvettes, Buicks, minivans, etc. Let's add rollcages, require helmets for drivers, and reduce acceleration dramatically"

Were already forced to use seatbelts, so the things you mention may be in the pipeline. I am sure it has (is) been thought of.

"Apparently freedom is less important than preventing every opportunity for one to be harmed."

Yep, many folks out there want to save you from yourself. It is a bad idea to give them ammunition.

"Come to think of it, my first big bike, a 93 KLR 600 was capable of 100 mph"

600cc is a big bike?

"What type of motorcycle would you think is clever and responsible?"

There is no such thing

"So you think owning a powerful motorcycle makes you a more dangerous rider?"

No, I think no safe (read responsible) rider would ever want to own such a motorcycle.

"I've seen hundreds of bikers on small capacity bikes riding like maniacs, oblivous to their surroundings... Do you think they are less of a menace?"

No

"The real issue here is training and attitude. Not the bike you are riding. It's as simple as that."

Your attitude (and financial ability) will dictate what bike your purchase.

"Please stop calling people stupid because they choose to ride powerful motorcycles."

Nope, I call it as I see it. Buy a 200mph bike and f*ck it up for all bikers.

"But, conveniently, he doesn't say that owning and operating an automobile capable of nearly 200mph (Corvette Z06) is also stupid behavior. "

I believe I did express a somewhat non-flattering opinion as to why he does so.

"You're certainly entitled to this opinion."

Why thank you … I just never realized I needed permission.

"Both busas and 500hp corvettes should not be allowed on public roads."

"There is no statistical rationale for this statement"

No, but there is a logical rationale. Both are not appreciated by the public at large and as such create negative feeling from the public to all associated with it. Somebody reading the article about the busa is going to view me as an asshat, simply because I ride. The fact that I do not speed, wear a helmet and run stock pipes will mean nothing.

"You could restrict the top speed of all vehicles - period - to 100mph and you wouldn't make a spit's worth of difference to the accident rate because virtually all of them happen below 70mph"

I do not think that is true … Take as example somebody traveling at 120 who applies brakes when observing an obstacle in the road. Unable to stop in time, he/she hits said obstacle at 60mph. That is an accident happening at less than 70mph, but caused buy excessive speed.

I do not put to much heed in statistics as they can be interpreted to prove anything.

BTW, I do not support speed restrictors on motor vehicles. I am simply saying that performance has gone way over the top, which is forcing legislators to act to bring it back to more sane levels. Of course, it would be better if manufacturers and riders could decide which levels to drop down to rather than some suits in Washington.

My Streetrod is rated at 120 odd HP. Nobody is going to try and outlaw it. The Hayabusa has 180+hp (?) which is way too much. If legislation comes in and restrict all bikes to 100hp, I am going to be nailed also. Now I must have my bike restricted because of a couple of immature jerks suffering from penis envy?

Ah, there I was pining away to hear from a brainless imbecile and your post appears …

you just typed "immature jerks suffering from penis envy" from the saddle of a HARLEY DAVIDSON STREETROD.

No, I was on my couch. I do not sit on my bike when I work on my computer.

"Not to mention you're splitting hairs over 40-50RWHP to justify your bike as a rational mature decision."

Yep 180-120 = "40-50". Not quite the math genius are you?

Of course that is why you consider a 50% increase in hp as "splitting hairs".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.