Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts
"But, conveniently, he doesn't say that owning and operating an automobile capable of nearly 200mph (Corvette Z06) is also stupid behavior. "

I believe I did express a somewhat non-flattering opinion as to why he does so.

"You're certainly entitled to this opinion."

Why thank you … I just never realized I needed permission.

"Both busas and 500hp corvettes should not be allowed on public roads."

There is no statistical rationale for this statement. You could restrict the top speed of all vehicles - period - to 100mph and you wouldn't make a spit's worth of difference to the accident rate because virtually all of them happen below 70mph. You might save the odd Johnny Blaze intent on putting his name in the record books, but you won't save enough people to even show up on a graph.

Ultimately, the accident rate depends almost exclusively on speed relative to the salient conditions (traffic, surface, rider skill, attentiveness, vehicle capabilities, etc.) and has almost nothing to do with the top speed of the vehicle. One could argue that 'busa drivers are more likely to be driving on the edge of the envelope, perhaps, but banning the bike would just move them to 600cc sport bikes and they will still ride on the edge of that envelope. Ban those and they would move to 50hp supermotos and still ride on the edge of the envelope. There is only so much you can do to offset idiocy.

Driving is a priviledge, but we talk and act and legislate as if it is a right. If it really was a priviledge, we would have graduated licencing and 'classes' of vehicles where one would earn the right to move up in class. Having a basic skills test and then opening the door to the whole panopoly of vehicles is why our accident rate is so high. We outdrive our vehicles, our capabilities, our experience and the conditions on a regular basis. Our accident rate proves it.

Do you honestly think that people would drive with cellphones glued to their ear if getting caught would drop them from Class 3 (Beemers, Mercedes, Lexus, et al.) all the way down to Beginner (Econobox sub 60hp - no highway) for a half decade? Not if they spent the first half decade of driving earning the right to get to the BMW, they wouldn't.

"Both busas and 500hp corvettes should not be allowed on public roads."

"There is no statistical rationale for this statement"

No, but there is a logical rationale. Both are not appreciated by the public at large and as such create negative feeling from the public to all associated with it. Somebody reading the article about the busa is going to view me as an asshat, simply because I ride. The fact that I do not speed, wear a helmet and run stock pipes will mean nothing.

"You could restrict the top speed of all vehicles - period - to 100mph and you wouldn't make a spit's worth of difference to the accident rate because virtually all of them happen below 70mph"

I do not think that is true … Take as example somebody traveling at 120 who applies brakes when observing an obstacle in the road. Unable to stop in time, he/she hits said obstacle at 60mph. That is an accident happening at less than 70mph, but caused buy excessive speed.

I do not put to much heed in statistics as they can be interpreted to prove anything.

BTW, I do not support speed restrictors on motor vehicles. I am simply saying that performance has gone way over the top, which is forcing legislators to act to bring it back to more sane levels. Of course, it would be better if manufacturers and riders could decide which levels to drop down to rather than some suits in Washington.

My Streetrod is rated at 120 odd HP. Nobody is going to try and outlaw it. The Hayabusa has 180+hp (?) which is way too much. If legislation comes in and restrict all bikes to 100hp, I am going to be nailed also. Now I must have my bike restricted because of a couple of immature jerks suffering from penis envy?

Re: Ninja Deal Machines (NDM)

wait a minute though... call me crazy but I believe you still need police to stop them to enforce that legislation....

If they're already breaking the law and unable to be caught... how will making more laws for them to break help??

"Somebody reading the article about the busa is going to view me as an asshat, simply because I ride. The fact that I do not speed, wear a helmet and run stock pipes will mean nothing."

"Somebody" doesn't need to know you ride to determine that little jewel.

ROFLMAO, you just typed "immature jerks suffering from penis envy" from the saddle of a HARLEY DAVIDSON STREETROD.

Not to mention you're splitting hairs over 40-50RWHP to justify your bike as a rational mature decision.

Ah, there I was pining away to hear from a brainless imbecile and your post appears …

you just typed "immature jerks suffering from penis envy" from the saddle of a HARLEY DAVIDSON STREETROD.

No, I was on my couch. I do not sit on my bike when I work on my computer.

"Not to mention you're splitting hairs over 40-50RWHP to justify your bike as a rational mature decision."

Yep 180-120 = "40-50". Not quite the math genius are you?

Of course that is why you consider a 50% increase in hp as "splitting hairs".

Re: So 159 - 107 = 40 to 50?? Go back to school you pathetic f*ckhead

Oh now, don't get defensive because you can read but not comprehend. I can only guess it must be frustrating being a tool about everything.

Look into bridge(the card game) I hear old women love it.

BTW, Sept. '07 Motor Cyclist list the difference as 47 hp for the v-rod and Suzuki. I thought the street-rod made a bit more than the v-rod. But, just like you, I could be wrong.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.