Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,129 Posts

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Helmets don't stop accidents. Getting squids off the road stops accidents. Silly LR."

Partially correct. Getting drivers to pay attention stops even more accidents. Running over six bikes at a stop light doesn't happen to people paying attention.

· Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The EU tried this before in the 80's That's why early K bikes were right at 100 hp. Anyway whatever blows their skirts up I suppose, most of the bikes I've owned have been just over or just under 100hp and I never felt cheated.

They did tiered licensing here in The Democratic Peoples Republic of Washington a few years back, 500cc was the break over. I actually thought it was a good idea, the first year or two your MC license was good for up to 500cc bikes after that it was unlimited. I personally don't see a problem myself, there's no realistic argument for allowing an inexperienced rider on a large displacement bike. Let them get their feet wet and learn some basic skill's on a small bike then retest on whatever you want.

I think it's a step in the right direction myself. I don't think 100hp limits are "bad" either, it looks good on paper and the vast majority of riders wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Nobody on the street with any kind of life expectancy is using anywhere near the 150 ~160 HP available on their bikes except Moke no matter what their Sport Bike fantasies are. Restrict them to 100hp, the Pol's can say they did something the insurance companies can all smile and pat each other on the back because they got their way and we can go on about our business.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
The EU tried this before in the 80's That's why early K bikes were right at 100 hp. Anyway whatever blows their skirts up I suppose, most of the bikes I've owned have been just over or just under 100hp and I never felt cheated.

They did tiered licensing here in The Democratic Peoples Republic of Washington a few years back, 500cc was the break over. I actually thought it was a good idea, the first year or two your MC license was good for up to 500cc bikes after that it was unlimited. I personally don't see a problem myself, there's no realistic argument for allowing an inexperienced rider on a large displacement bike. Let them get their feet wet and learn some basic skill's on a small bike then retest on whatever you want.

I think it's a step in the right direction myself. I don't think 100hp limits are "bad" either, it looks good on paper and the vast majority of riders wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Nobody on the street with any kind of life expectancy is using anywhere near the 150 ~160 HP available on their bikes except Moke no matter what their Sport Bike fantasies are. Restrict them to 100hp, the Pol's can say they did something the insurance companies can all smile and pat each other on the back because they got their way and we can go on about our business.
I have no issues with stepped licensing, either. I don't want HP limits. Simply, why develop the technology if you can sell it to the general public? People love horsepower. If they regulate it for bikes then they will for sportscars. Who wants a Vette with less than 200hp? Who wants a Audi A8 with less than 200hp? Why develop the technology if you're not allowed to use it? Ford's SHO pumps out 365hp, but gets 32 hwy mpg. It'd be assame to lose that.
What they should do is adjust the standards for licensing class/road test based on the type of bike you actually ride. Get busted riding an R1 when you tested on a VLX and you lose your permit for 3yrs. Next time it happens lose ALL licensing classes for 6 mos. It's just a thought, but it looked good on paper.

· Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I see your point but from a performance factor a 100hp bike will leave all but the most exotic sports cars in the dust and as I recall a lot of performance cars have speed limiters on them.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.